Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: My DA/SA Traditional: Ruger P89

A friend of mine had a P89 and it amazed me that a gun that could be purchased at that price could be that accurate and fun to shoot. I would bet that most of them are still running but have been replaced for lighter, less bulky options.

I saw a reminder the other day that if you are familiar with a Ruger P series pistol its time to have your prostate checked. It doesn't seem like its been that long since they come out until I did the math.

I have a Ruger P90 and it's made at a price point. Front and back strap slick and smooth. No traction there. Same with the grips. They have horizontal lines, but I can't see where that adds traction. A personal observation, I like more light on either side of the front sight. The barrel has a swing link ala 1911.

On the plus side, it's been 100% reliable. Once you get the hang of disassembly, it is a snap. The frame rails are huge. It is a well-finished pistol.

One question: On the slide, there is a scalloped out area. It is located from the rear of the ejection (right side) and runs to the front edge of the rear sight. Just wondering if this has any functionality or is just ornamental. My pistol was built in 2010.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/7...cp-pr52015.jpg

I plan to hang on to this pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Matty, that's a superb write-up and analysis. In addition to what you covered, I'll add a couple of things: 1. According to my sources, prior to the XM9/XM10 trials, Ruger performed some incremental changes; the swinging link was thickened, the sights were slightly enlarged, the slide release was given a flatter shape with less mass, and I believe that the sear was modified. 2. I also believe that Ruger continued to play with the Xenoy grip plates in terms of how thick and how much dishing there was. Other than that, I believe that the biggest thing for the XM10 trials was the introduction of a locking grubscrew into the rear sight to firmly set the sight to preclude movement in the dovetail (or, conversely, to allow some more movement to facilitate adjustment, and then to lock it in once adjusted).

Other more substantive changes came later-mainly the barrel/slide fitment modification that provided more accuracy, and the magazine latch and magazine tube modifications, which allowed the magazine to sit slightly higher in the receiver providing cartridges a more direct path from magazine to chamber. The later magazines were likely produced by Mec-Gar for Ruger, and the basepads switched from stamped steel to a thicker polymer on both 15 and 10 round magazines. OEM magazines were stainless, but blued ones were available, both from Shop Ruger and Mec-Gar, and there were eventually at least 2 variants of the 10 round magazines, distinguished by how the basepad was affixed to the tube.

Absolutely feel free to link, or provide in toto your review into this thread. Excellent job!

Best, Jon
    Thanks so much, Jon!

Really appreciate the kind words. It definitely makes me feel good to have your seal of approval... because you know about as much about P-Series guns as anyone I've come across.

As the review intimates, I didn't expect to be so taken and impressed with the P89. No, it's not perfect, but anything short of "Excellent" feels like I'm underselling it--regardless of the price or any other considerations. If the Beretta 92 and the Sig P226 are "quintessential" wondernines... so must be the P89.

Also, thanks for those nuggets of wisdom. I recall reading in one of your threads (likely this one) about the the mag-alignment tweak. That seems fairly significant as far as feeding reliability. I plan to go back and add these updates to the written review.

In any case, here's a link to the writeup, if anyone's interested (YouTube review is also embedded, therein)...

https://hipstertactical.com/blog/rug...r-what-it-isnt

Thanks again, Jon!
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

What's the consensus on the blued Mec-Gar magazines for the P89? Local shop has a very nice P89 in the case for $299 and if the Mec-Gar mags are good to go I think I may become a P89 owner. My Dad's had a P97DC for almost 20-years and it's sent thousands of 205gr LSWC's over Bullseye down range without a hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    What's the consensus on the blued Mec-Gar magazines for the P89? Local shop has a very nice P89 in the case for $299 and if the Mec-Gar mags are good to go I think I may become a P89 owner. My Dad's had a P97DC for almost 20-years and it's sent thousands of 205gr LSWC's over Bullseye down range without a hitch.
    Mec-Gar magazines are excellent, and Mec-Gar was in fact the OEM for Ruger for the later series of P89 magazines. They're usually less expensive then the Ruger branded ones at Shop Ruger, but functionally are the same. They also have an excellent guarantee, which I can personally attest that they stand behind. Buy and use with complete confidence. Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have a Ruger P90 and it's made at a price point. Front and back strap slick and smooth. No traction there. Same with the grips. They have horizontal lines, but I can't see where that adds traction. A personal observation, I like more light on either side of the front sight. The barrel has a swing link ala 1911.

On the plus side, it's been 100% reliable. Once you get the hang of disassembly, it is a snap. The frame rails are huge. It is a well-finished pistol.

One question: On the slide, there is a scalloped out area. It is located from the rear of the ejection (right side) and runs to the front edge of the rear sight. Just wondering if this has any functionality or is just ornamental. My pistol was built in 2010.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/7...cp-pr52015.jpg

I plan to hang on to this pistol.
    To the best of my knowledge, that scalloped area is just aesthetic, and perhaps provides a slight reduction in weight. The subsequent P93/P94s did not have it, instead the area was built up with the rest of the slide, and then the grasping grooves (another subsequent addition) rolled over it.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

General P-series ruger question. Is converting between a manual safety and decock-only variant as straightforward as changing the slides? Plenty of DC slides / parts kits on ebay and we still have a manual safety P90 around here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    General P-series ruger question. Is converting between a manual safety and decock-only variant as straightforward as changing the slides? Plenty of DC slides / parts kits on ebay and we still have a manual safety P90 around here somewhere...
    Yes, I did that exact thing with a P90 I have. Just swap slides and its good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thanks so much, Jon!

Really appreciate the kind words. It definitely makes me feel good to have your seal of approval... because you know about as much about P-Series guns as anyone I've come across.

As the review intimates, I didn't expect to be so taken and impressed with the P89. No, it's not perfect, but anything short of "Excellent" feels like I'm underselling it--regardless of the price or any other considerations. If the Beretta 92 and the Sig P226 are "quintessential" wondernines... so must be the P89.

Also, thanks for those nuggets of wisdom. I recall reading in one of your threads (likely this one) about the the mag-alignment tweak. That seems fairly significant as far as feeding reliability. I plan to go back and add these updates to the written review.

In any case, here's a link to the writeup, if anyone's interested (YouTube review is also embedded, therein)...

https://hipstertactical.com/blog/rug...r-what-it-isnt

Thanks again, Jon!
    Matt, I just watched your YouTube video; it was flat out excellent-Well done! Definitely worth a watch.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Matt, I just watched your YouTube video; it was flat out excellent-Well done! Definitely worth a watch.

Best, Jon
    Thanks so much, Jon! Really appreciate you watching and the endorsement.

That video is doing really well in terms of views/watch time. It's interesting how many people--apparently--have an affinity for these guns. There are sooo many comments where people talk about their long history of depending on P-Series pistols. My PX4 Compact video has been carrying my channel in terms of views, subscriptions, etc. But this P89 vid is hot on its heels.

Thanks again!
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List