Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Col. Cooper's/Gunsite's Four Rules...

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes

The issue with the rules is that they were made to be short, sweet, easy to remember. This is great, and necessary - the unavoidable (?) side effect is that they end up footnoted. Rule 1 is notorious for this, because, obviously, sometimes guns are not loaded - this allows us to dry fire, clean, etc. Rule 2 is tricky as well - There are very few things that I'm willing to destroy and the muzzle covers a lot of things as it rides in my holster all day - so it's generally understood that we don't allow the muzzle to cover things while the gun is in our hands, etc.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Rule 1 is notorious for this, because, obviously, sometimes guns are not loaded - this allows us to dry fire...
    Serious Question: How many people here do their dry-fire practice against a backstop into which they would feel unsafe discharging a loaded firearm?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Serious Question: How many people here do their dry-fire practice against a backstop into which they would feel unsafe discharging a loaded firearm?
    \

Safe how? Safe in that no one will likely be shot? Or safe in that the local fuzz won't show up and get you for discharging a firearm?

Yeah, define safe - I dry fire so that if I discharge a round it will do some pretty good damage to my home and relationship with my wife - but not shoot anyone.

I do. I live in a loft, I'm pretty sure an ND into anything other than the fridge or stove would go through the walls. I'm very aware of that so I'm pretty anal about the whole "no ammo in the room" rule when dry firing.

I dryfire while aimed at old body armor panels.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Col. Cooper's/Gunsite's Four Rules...

My dry fire backstop is the door of my safe. I have various targets taped to it.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I would need at least 3 safe doors - I do a lot of transition work in dry fire.

I've also started using a train safe firearm block - it is a nice visual cue that gives me additional peace of mind.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I do. I live in a loft, I'm pretty sure an ND into anything other than the fridge or stove would go through the walls. I'm very aware of that so I'm pretty anal about the whole "no ammo in the room" rule when dry firing.
    This is something I'm pretty leery about, perhaps to an irrational degree, having been in the room when a .30-'06 got loud. I like the basement here. Basements are really good for dry-fire.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List