Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Side-Stepping When Firing, Reloading, etc.: valid tactic?

I have seen the side step technique taught not as a specific tactic but as a way to help break the range habit of doing everything while standing flat footed in one spot. The idea being to try to get you thinking about moving whenever possible but making it work safely within the confines of a group of students on firing line.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I have seen the side step technique taught not as a specific tactic but as a way to help break the range habit of doing everything while standing flat footed in one spot. The idea being to try to get you thinking about moving whenever possible but making it work safely within the confines of a group of students on firing line.
    This was exactly how it was presented to me at a NRA LEO instructors course. It was not presented as a tactic but as a way to prevent the students feet from being glued to the ground. Whether it is a valid tactic in itself will probably be debated till the end of time. Given Tom Givens success I would have to give it a nod.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    IIRC, that was a part of the reasoning used by Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch. Shoot and move, don't be a stationary target.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

When I've seen this practiced, it was jacked up movement and jacked up hits on target. Hackathorn taught us to keep moving because a little sidestep was not going to be much help (jacked up movement and jacked up hits). I think the reactive drill is pretty much a different subject than offensive movement while shooting which was more of what I got exposed to training with Frank Proctor.

Edited to add - if it was an event so close to make it easy to get hits - say 3 yards up to contact distance then a ducking off line to shoot seems more plausible.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If a break in the action affords you the time to take a step to perform a reload, why not keep stepping (as in run!)? Isn't the goal of a reload to get the weapon charged as rapidly as possible, or are we to engrain the foot movement of side-stepping during reload? Curious to know how other's feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I mean, suppose there's no place to step to the left?
    Then a jump to the right.

EDIT to add: In a recent class we practiced moving left, right, and back. Refreshingly, at least based on AARs I've seen, not to mention YouTubes, they explained why we did it AND the potential pitfalls.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Valid? Yes, but not how most people practice it. Just like the scan and assess it has become a tactical dance that allows one doofus to show everyone how switched on they think they are. Meanwhile as they demonstrate their switchedonedness they get in the way if others and/or miss things they are practicing to see, like students and instructors.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I was taught to side step by Farnam. Did it in an SDave class. He's not a fan. Putting it mildly.

In some instances, it may be because some guy wrote lateral movement into a course that the state adopted as the state's standard qualification course for certification. Add to that that another select group took a literal approach to a simple POST rule so that any course of fire must have lateral movement at the seven yard line or it won't be approved. Whether or not such movement makes sense to the particular situation is irrelevant.

Not that I any issue with any of the above...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    If a break in the action affords you the time to take a step to perform a reload, why not keep stepping (as in run!)? Isn't the goal of a reload to get the weapon charged as rapidly as possible, or are we to engrain the foot movement of side-stepping during reload? Curious to know how other's feel.
    I was just thinking the exact same thing.

User Tag List