Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Side-Stepping When Firing, Reloading, etc.: valid tactic?

Gold.

Rewatching, I can see the care and control you are talking about. You're in fact doing what you say which is the same as what I was imagining the correct solution to involve...You're just a beast though and your "controlled" pace looks so much like most people's "off the bloody wall" pace, mine included. Remarkable.

I want to take a second to explicitly thank you for your latest posts. A lot of this stuff you've said before, but I'm finding it critically important to understand that you're not just a speed demon, you're just naturally this fast. That is, your metrics and standards for techniques are at their core no different than any other squared away PFer. Your latest posts have been particularly illuminating in this regard, probably owing largely to the fact that I've been capable of reading them better.

Back on topic. Thinking about this side-to-side movement case, what do you do when your wobble zone is larger than the target?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Gold.

Rewatching, I can see the care and control you are talking about. You're in fact doing what you say which is the same as what I was imagining the correct solution to involve...You're just a beast though and your "controlled" pace looks so much like most people's "off the bloody wall" pace, mine included. Remarkable.

I want to take a second to explicitly thank you for your latest posts. A lot of this stuff you've said before, but I'm finding it critically important to understand that you're not just a speed demon, you're just naturally this fast. That is, your metrics and standards for techniques are at their core no different than any other squared away PFer. Your latest posts have been particularly illuminating in this regard, probably owing largely to the fact that I've been capable of reading them better.

Back on topic. Thinking about this side-to-side movement case, what do you do when your wobble zone is larger than the target?
    I couldn't possibly agree more with this ^^^^. I have so much appreciation for what the true experts here are literally giving away every day on this site. "Thanks" is pretty weak, but I wish to convey it with the utmost sincerity.

Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I couldn't possibly agree more with this ^^^^. I have so much appreciation for what the true experts here are literally giving away every day on this site. "Thanks" is pretty weak, but I wish to convey it with the utmost sincerity.
    Hey thanks you guys. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I've been in class all weekend and damn I am tired. It makes me happy that you guys appreciated my answer.

That's when the right answer for a great many real situations is to maneuver or change plans. I'm using the term maneuver pretty generally here, but basically, when you can't reliably hit the target in the current physical circumstances, either do something else altogether (seek a nonshooting solution even if not the most ideal) or else change the physical circumstances so that you can hit the target, such as by closing distance to some degree or obtaining a better engagement angle.

From the technical perspective, there are two other answers, but they are going to be too unreliable in many but not all real situations. You can time the shot so that you fire when your body is more still, even though you are on the move. This will usually be when one foot has already landed on the ground and the other foot is in the air taking a step. There's a moment of relative stillness during that time. If you can find sufficient sight picture in that moment, and also press the trigger "NOW!" without jerking it off target or anticipating, then you can find and use small moments of sufficient tightness in an otherwise too-large wobble zone.

That part about pressing the trigger "NOW!" also can come to the fore even without shooting on the move, and it can happen when the target is available, and so you mount the gun, start aiming, pressing the trigger, but then the target rapidly switches to being unavailable because it went away, went behind some barrier, or maybe a bystander issue is emerging. So then you halt the trigger press and you are about to get finger in register and get back to a vision-unobstructed ready position - and right then the target abruptly becomes available again. Maybe the bystander went the other way, the target emerged from the barrier, or whatever, but this change happens before you actually dismount the gun and put finger in register. So at that point, you may have a chance to press the trigger "NOW!" This dynamic is a big reason that the "command fire" drill used by many people is useful. There are times the shot can be Taken Now or Not Taken, but not when you are ready according to you.

I did some shooting on the move practice yesterday. I tried using some target and distance variations to torque my skill. I shot:

Hanging tennis ball at 7 yards (tough target, doable on the walk though not 100%, and particularly difficult and unreliable on the run.)

Bowling pin intertwined with a no-shoot bowling pin at 7 yards (look at this part of the video, there is a lot of firing "NOW!" happening because the opportunity to hit the target rapidly emerges then leaves then emerges then leaves, etc. Mostly good hits both on the walk and run, but also a few misses which are very easy to have, especially trying to stay off the no-shoot. No hits on the no-shoot though.)

Same thing at 15 yards (much much harder - on the run forget it, on the walk I had hits, misses, and hits to the no-shoot. I think these kind of drills are good as know your limits drills.)

Three USPSA targets at 7 yards (I always want to put shooting on the run to work in USPSA, but almost never can. In USPSA there are enough targets that are only available in a short enough span of distance, that if I run, I simply don't have enough time to invest in the aiming and shooting. If I can improve though, maybe one day it will become more useful in USPSA. Out of a total of 24 shots, I ended up with 9As, 12 Cs, 2 Ds, and 1 miss. That's probably not really too bad, but that low a proportion of As feels all wrong to me.)

I also had a bit of a FAST-fest and one of the variations I tried was to shoot it on the move. Did it twice:

Anyway, you can see some of the subtleties we are talking about in some parts of these videos.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I love the subject of shooting on the move and this is an interesting conversation you guys are having. I've been following it, but occasionally get a little lost in all the linguistic descriptions (also pretty tired at the moment so that probably doesn't help.) I think you both ought to record some video and post it so we can better see what you are talking about.

In any case, when we are talking about whether to stand and shoot, move a little and shoot, or move a lot and shoot, I think it becomes a difficult discussion due to individual shooter strengths and the unknowable element of how well the adversary is going to shoot. That's the part that to me, puts the decisionmaking squarely at the feet of self-perception of our abilities, the degree of alarm we feel in the moment, and the spatial factors involved - available space, available barriers, location of threats, location of bystanders. I personally think those spatial factors should be a primary driver in deciding whether to stand and shoot, move a little and shoot, or move a lot and shoot.

Depending on the circumstances, we might maintain the safest shot angle to bystanders by standing still, moving a little, or moving a lot.

Depending on the circumstances, we might best use a barrier by standing still, moving a little, or moving a lot.

Depending on the circumstances, we might have a temporarily advantageous angle against multiple threats by standing still, moving a little, or moving a lot.

Depending on the circumstances, we might avoid an environmental hazard like a busy street or something we could fall off of, by standing still, moving a little, or moving a lot.

Depending on the circumstances, all factors may not align cleanly, and we may have to decide between a safer shot angle and using better cover, as an example.

It seem self-evident to me that a person with well-rounded skill would shoot the best and the fastest while not moving, somewhat less well moving a little, and less well still if moving a lot. Do we want to get the first round on the adversary sooner, but while presenting an easier target to him, do we want to get the first round on the adversary a bit later, but while presenting a harder target to him, or somewhere in between? Are we shooting them well, in the head? If not, why do we figure the threat is going to be stopped once we start landing rounds?

That estimation also fundamentally involves the capability of the other person, which we might be able to generalize, but I think we'll end up quite incorrect in many specific instances.

But, some people are really good at shooting on the move, and some people are really bad at it, so that might factor into decisionmaking too.

These elements that are unknowable or difficult to figure, where maybe there is or isn't a right answer, are why I like the spatial elements of available space, available barriers, location of threats, and location of bystanders to drive a decision of whether, where, and how much to move, because I think those factors more often yield a 'right answer' than we tend to get from trying to consider our own abilities (which we should know) and the adversary's abilities (which we might generalize but can easily be wrong about.) And letting that 'right answer' about the spatial factors be a primary driver of our specific actions strongly suggests to me that it's a good idea for a person to develop well-rounded abilities in shooting static and in varying degrees of movement, so that we can act in accordance with the requirements of the physical situation at hand, without unnecessary hesitation born of lack of confidence in the skills required at that moment.

So I like all of it! Stand and shoot, move a little and shoot, move a lot and shoot - it's all good. I do like to practice shooting in a fairly high degree of motion and with harder targets. Starting two or three yards away from a bigger target makes the shooting quite a bit easier.

This is exactly what I was trying to get across with respect to dynamic movement. However, instead of moving laterally I push for angles like the 10 and 2, which I believe improves success rate for hits on target while increasing difficulty of the OPFOR to track me. If environment allows I would angle to the weapon side to also increase tracking difficulty.

Awesome stuff. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

By the way, Mr_White, your draw sound could be a movie/videogame sound effect

User Tag List