Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Side-Stepping When Firing, Reloading, etc.: valid tactic?

Side-Stepping When Firing, Reloading, etc.: valid tactic?

I was recently surfing shooting instruction videos and came across this tactic. It seems that James Yeager introduced this technique to Cory of Range Time. Yeager's instance can be seen HERE @ 2:15, and Cory's interpretation can be seen HERE @ 4:11.

Now, to me, it doesn't seem like it holds up to even the smallest of scrutiny: if your firearm goes down, empty or malfunction, wouldn't it make more sense to find cover or at the very least concealment? And, in a worse case scenario instance, would side-stepping two to three feet really save your life? If I'm trying to shoot or injure a moving target, that little side-step maneuver isn't that hard to continue following and keep in my sights.

Is there anything behind this; am I just not seeing it? Or is it just something silly?
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

I hope Tom Givens pops in to discuss this. He teaches it and IIRC has a video of a student who used the technique in a gunfight she won.

If the other guy has to readjust his aim or line of travel because of your side step, then it buys you time (unless the side step happens to cost you more time than you bought.) There could be mental delay for him in there too, and it can act as a small OODA loop interruption, or not.

A lot of times there isn't any cover or concealment to be had. It is a flimsy world in a lot of places. In a confined space, if one wants to move, one or a few sidesteps back and forth might be all there is room for.

If the other guy gets tunnel vision, I've heard it said that the side step can take you right out of his narrowed area of vision.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

It's been taught in a lot of circles, falling in an out of favor depending on groups and time.

I do it outside - but usually not inside structures.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I hope Tom Givens pops in to discuss this. He teaches it and IIRC has a video of a student who used the technique in a gunfight she won.
    Tom teaches is out to a certain distance (I cannot recall well enough to say-I think about a car length) then beyond that point he doesn't. Hopefully he will clarify.

Yeah, this is all tripping my recall buttons. It's not a technique I practice, entirely because until recently I had no place to practice it.

I think things like side stepping, scan & assess, top-off, etc. are too often taught just at face value. To me the real value in things like that is being able to consciously stop running the gun and engage your brain's decision making capability under stress (real or perceived.) Otherwise it's just hammer and nail time.

Simple reality-moving targets are harder to hit. Targets that move will often trigger the less trained to try to square and react to the moving target. We teach a variation that is the same as what we use in our edged weapons program. It is a valid tactic in many cases, especially for the lone defender as opposed to use in a team environment. Movement, and how and when you move is essential in the understanding of tactics. On the opposite side, when done wrong it has consequences. Additionally, one of the reason's I am not a big "target focus" person and prefer "front sight tracking" is to deal with movers. I do not want to be watching and reacting (that is "time") to my target. I want to be tracking it with a sight once the shoot decision has been made. If you disagree......I won't debate it, just do whatever you think is best.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    I think things like side stepping, scan & assess, top-off, etc. are too often taught just at face value. To me the real value in things like that is being able to consciously stop running the gun and engage your brain's decision making capability under stress (real or perceived.)
    This.

If it's being trained as some sort of range kabuki; a ritualized, pre-programmed line dance of "THREAT! and JAZZ HANDS! and SIDESTEP LEFT! now DRAW!"; then there's a very real risk that, should you try to throw down like that IRL, a wall or trash can or '98 Taurus is going to get all up inside your OODA loop.

I mean, suppose there's no place to step to the left? Isn't the whole purpose of practicing with the gun so that your hands can take care of all the gun stuff and leave your brain free to figure out where you need to be stepping?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I do think it's valid but it can be daunting to incorporate properly into a line full of shooters.

User Tag List