Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Older P229/8" 9mm magazines in new -1 pistols

"Older P229/8" 9mm magazines in new -1 pistols

Would there be any issues with reliability when using "older/thinner" 9mm P229/8 magazines in new -1 frames?
    As I can't get new production, standard capacity mags in my locality.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Would there be any issues with reliability when using "older/thinner" 9mm P229/8 magazines in new -1 frames?
    As I can't get new production, standard capacity mags in my locality.
    I have heard it both ways -- some folks using them satisfactorily, but also that they are not as reliable as -1 mags.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have used them in my 229-1 without issue. Many times. I don't even buy -1 mags. I use one of the ones that came with the gun as the primary, but all my extras are 226 mags (18/20 rounders). Work like a charm.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Regular 226 mags work in the e-1 version of the p229? Does the manufacturer matter (mecgar vs sig oem?). Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I have used p-228 mags in my 40 cal p-229 with a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel (same frame as the 229-1). They are a little loose but functioned fine. 9mm P-226 mags are the same size and should also work. I used both 13 round SIG and 15 round Mecgar P228 mags. I would probably stick with 229-1 mags for carry. Also, for range use, p229 40 mags will hold about 14 rounds of 9mm and also function fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chiral View Post
    Regular 226 mags work in the e-1 version of the p229? Does the manufacturer matter (mecgar vs sig oem?). Thanks!
    I've used zipper back OEM sig mags, sig marked MecGar and straight mecgars. No issues at all.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have tested this with dozens of mags. It is hit or miss. I would not depend on it for anything except range use. FWIW

Major thread necro, but I'm curious as to any further evaluation on this topic.

I am having a bitch of a time trying to locate 15-round 229-1 magazines. After putting some checkered G10 grips on my P229R, the 17-round MecGars don't quite seat without smacking them in hard. I've come to notice the G10s are digging in to the fatter baseplate.

Also, I'm more fond of the standard style mags for this gun.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Major thread necro, but I'm curious as to any further evaluation on this topic.

I am having a bitch of a time trying to locate 15-round 229-1 magazines. After putting some checkered G10 grips on my P229R, the 17-round MecGars don't quite seat without smacking them in hard. I've come to notice the G10s are digging in to the fatter baseplate.

Also, I'm more fond of the standard style mags for this gun.
    Why not smooth down the G10 then?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Why not smooth down the G10 then?
    As in reducing the overall length of them?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List