Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STP Engine Degreaser for cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    Is there a certain reason why you want to use it as your gun cleaner?

There are plenty of good gun cleaning products that are out there that work great and are inexpensive. Personally I think the non-toxic/non-odor products clean great without all the added downsides of some of the other solvent cleaners.
    Availability of Gunscrubber or other good Fire Arms are imported here in my place so you wont see much of it.
    Just trying to use what can easily be bought here.
    Brake cleaners are good.. but it has health issues to me that's why i am avoiding it.

I will just use the STP as degreaser, still will be using the HOope's for the bore and gunOIL for lube.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Availability of Gunscrubber or other good Fire Arms are imported here in my place so you wont see much of it.
    Just trying to use what can easily be bought here.
    Brake cleaners are good.. but it has health issues to me that's why i am avoiding it.

I will just use the STP as degreaser, still will be using the HOope's for the bore and gunOIL for lube.
    Thanks
    Where are you located? Also, if you desire a non toxic cleaner, there are plenty of viable options M PRO 7 & Slip 2000 come immediately to mind.

Clark, Philippines... They dont sell stuff like that here.

Cleaning

I don't recommend anything! I would never want someone to come back and call me names and say you told me to use it.

My personal choice is: I use CRC brand from the wal-mart store of silicone spray in the Automotive Section. I use it on my Ruger P90 stainless with Hogue grips, and on my Glock 21.

I have never had any problems. It washes away the powder and brings out powder from places I didn't know was there.

It leaves a silicone film behind and for me that equates to moisture protection.

I use my own oil mixture for lubrication consisting of Blue Label 3 in 1 oil, and LE high temperature grease.

I have used this for 10 years, and show no wear anywhere that I look, with the exception of the barrel near the end of the slide at the front of the gun, and I polish it out because it is just marks not wear.

I hope everyone find the answer to their firearm lube, and cleaning situations.

Gun Scubber is non chlorinated brake cleaner. Use your head when shopping.

Not that this is going that way but stay on the thread's topic and start a lube thread if you like, folks.
    #RESIST

While researching for another hobby, I found a thread on using Pine-Sol as a degreaser for motorcycle parts:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

If you've got time to use it, it's not as nasty to humans as many of the other degreasing options.

My practices may be a little different than some here but I run machine guns. I use brake cleaner to de-grease them, then automotive moly grease and automatic transmission fluid (M60) or motor oil (Browning 1919A4) to re-lube them.

I don't see why these things won't work on your firearms in a pinch, but for basic handguns and rifles, I'd probably stick with conventional cleaning chemicals if given a choice.

Like LL said Gun Scrubber IS non-chlorinated brake cleaner. If you look up the Material safety data sheet (MSDS) for Gun Scrubber and various brake cleaners you can see they are basically the same solvent. Google is you friend here.

Some people have an issue with the “White Residue” left behind by brake cleaners or Gun Scrubber. This white residue isn’t actually from the brake cleaner itself but from the oil used to lube the firearm. The white residue is the solid particulates and/or compounds (i.e. fats, Teflon, silicon, snake oils, etc…), in your chosen lube, left over after the solvent evaporates away. It’s harmless and can be simply wiped away with your gun cleaning rag.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Like LL said Gun Scrubber IS non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
    At twice the price, no less. Buying GunScrubber is being ripped off.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Can i use STP Engine Degreaser to clean FAs?
    Will it not damage the bore barrel?
    Will it damage anything? Probably not.
    Do you need it? Probably not.

For a number of years my choices in what I clean my guns with comes down to what's safest for me. There are plenty of all natural, biodegradable gun cleaning products out there that are perfectly safe to be in contact with. I can't imagine that's the case for engine degreaser and to use it in the tight confines of a gun bench seems like overkill.

User Tag List