Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusing with contacts

Focusing with contacts

I just got some contacts, and I've noticed in my dry-fire practice that they make it a lot more difficult to focus on the front sight and to get the proper sight picture with both eyes open.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Well dang. I've been wearing contacts for decades and do not find this to be a problem and it's so long ago I don't recall any transition from glasses (circa '83).

Do you perceive two front sights or some such?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Not quite as long for me but I've been wearing contacts for over a decade and I've never noticed a problem. I will say that my vision can be better corrected with glasses than contacts, but I still prefer the contacts. It's also possible that you need the prescription adjusted, I've noticed that sometimes it takes a couple tries to get them dialed in.

I do, a little. I had a really bad corneal ulcer a few years ago and it really messes with me from time to time. I have found that spending $30 to get a few different types of eye drops to find what works best is money well spent. I will use a good bit of drops when I can to help. I don't have the issues with glasses but I haven't worn my glasses in a few months now and likely won't unless I need to.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Well dang. I've been wearing contacts for decades and do not find this to be a problem and it's so long ago I don't recall any transition from glasses (circa '83).

Do you perceive two front sights or some such?
    It's kind of just two sight pictures, and they obscure each other to the point that I can't tell which one I should look at. If I close my left eye, then open it again, I can focus on the picture from my right eye (my dominant eye).

The perscription feels perfect for other things, really brings my world into focus. Except for my sights.

I know it took a while for my eyes and brain to learn to shoot both eyes open, so it may just be an issue of training my eyes to do the same with contacts.

I'll try shooting with glasses as well, see if that's any easier. But contacts are so much simpler.
    my fingers for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I know it took a while for my eyes and brain to learn to shoot both eyes open, so it may just be an issue of training my eyes to do the same with contacts.I'll try shooting with glasses as well, see if that's any easier. But contacts are so much simpler.
    My hunch is that's all it'll turn out to be. I run both eyes open for speed but when I slow down to make distant low prob target, I squint/close that left eye to go hard on the focus.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My hunch is that's all it'll turn out to be. I run both eyes open for speed but when I slow down to make distant low prob target, I squint/close that left eye to go hard on the focus.
    When I shot competitive smallbore, we always shot both eyes open - and those are low prob targets. When you close one eye, you cut off a significant percentage of light going into the other eye. It's an issue with smallbore, but probably not as much with pistol.

Hopefully some training will help me get the right focus.
    my fingers for battle.

Interesting as I have a similar issue with contacts. I don't shoot often with my glasses as they are not adequate eye pro. It might be that now that you have two pieces of plastic or glass between your eye and the sights it is causing problems. I had similar issues in basic when doing qualification. I could see much better with bcgs than with eye pro w/ glasses inserts. Food for thought.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I have the same issue wiht contacts, its also harder for me to hold focus on things like the front sight for long periods of time...this is one of the reasons i switched to a red dot.
    Chemist.

Did some more dry fire today and found that if I focused on the target instead of the front sight, everything was clear. Might need to be a new thread, bit is focusing on the target a goodie idea for defensive pistol shooting?
    my fingers for battle.

User Tag List