Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweat tabs on magazine carriers

Sweat tabs on magazine carriers

I finally broke down and bought a new, more form fitting magazine carrier. It came standard with a sweat tab which I hate. As best I can tell, it's main function is to prevent me from properly indexing a magazine as I can drive on to the magazine. Other than keeping the magazines from touch me, do these sweat tabs serve any purpose? Is it going to be tragic if the tab meets Mr. Emergency Scissors?

Will the tab keep you from grabbing some shirt while trying to just grab the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    keeping the magazines from touch me
    "DON'T TOUCH ME I'LL SUE YOU!!!!"

---

I hate anti-grip-indexing guards too and I think you should cut them right off.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

We are diminished
    Dude, I don't even know how you index & access with that giant snap-tumor blocking access to the front mag. The swear guard merely adds insult to injury from where I'm sitting.

A holster maker gave something similar to the wife and I to demo. I told him I chopped the flab tab off and he said something along the lines of "oh you silly people that actually shoot your guns and use your carry gear etc."

Just like the topic of people on forums etc being more interested in gear than how to use it, some people are just looking for something to be more comfortable than more functional.

Sent via Tapatalk and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I finally broke down and bought a new, more form fitting magazine carrier. It came standard with a sweat tab which I hate. As best I can tell, it's main function is to prevent me from properly indexing a magazine as I can drive on to the magazine. Other than keeping the magazines from touch me, do these sweat tabs serve any purpose? Is it going to be tragic if the tab meets Mr. Emergency Scissors?

I wouldn't sleep a wink until they're removed.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Cut it off, carefully sand the raw edges with progressively finer grit paper, then dye and burnish the edge. Finish with a coat of edge seal and wax with carnuaba. Buff with a soft cloth to a high sheen.

Or just wack it off and hit with a sharpie...your call.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Just like the topic of people on forums etc being more interested in gear than how to use it, some people are just looking for something to be more comfortable than more functional.
    That bears repeating. Especially for less experienced people who might be lurking. Carry gear that's well-reviewed and popular on the internet might not be worth a damn. Especially if you care about little details like drawing. I wasted too much money to learn that lesson.

Interestingly enough, when I picked up two new holsters and an AIWB mag pouch from Tony at JMCK this week, he specifically mentioned that he'd eliminated the sweat guard riser on the back of the mag pouch to enable proper index and draw on the mag. If he hadn't done so, I probably would have cut it off myself.

That said, I've also rounded off the port-side square corners on the back of a couple of carry mags for my P30 so they won't jab me in the tummy quite so enthusiastically when carried in the AIWB pouch. There's definitely a comfort-vs-utility tradeoff, especially if your baseplates aren't all nice radiused corners.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

The sweat tab is now gone - and I didn't even use a Sharpie. Interestingly, the carrier was reviewed very well and when I looked at it, I wondered how that sweat tab could possibly work. I figured it could always be removed.

As far as indexing magazines, the attachment point is far enough forward to let it happen. They don't index as well as my Comp-Tacs but they conceal a lot better too.

User Tag List