Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia house Bill 60 passes, headed to Governor

Georgia house Bill 60 passes, headed to Governor

Last night, in the waning moments of the legislative session, GA HB60 was passed. It awaits action by Governor Deal.

Bullet points from the bill: (disclaimer that I have not read the bill as passes in its entirety)

- remove fingerprinting requirement for GWCL renewals (saves citizen $42)
    - allows for carry in government buildings without active security screening
    - removes blanket prohibition from carry in places of worship and allows each congregation to decide the matter
    - prohibits state from creating database of GWCL holders (Probabte judges issue the licenses)
    - allows for carry in non-secured portions of airports
    - allows for 18-20 year old military members to obatain GWCL (currently exempt in GA, will allow carry out of state)
    - allows for use of suppressors when hunting
    - removes governor's authority to restrict carry during emergencies (last governor vetoed bills with this in it)

I will be thoroughly reading the bill as there were some legislative shenanigans at play. The Senate tried to mess with things, but the House outmaneuvered them in the end. There are some provisions that were in the original bill that are very pertinent to 4th Amendment issues.

I'm presenting my class on the carry laws at a conference in August; so, I have some updating to do.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Last night, in the waning moments of the legislative session, GA HB60 was passed. It awaits action by Governor Deal.

Bullet points from the bill: (disclaimer that I have not read the bill as passes in its entirety)

- removes blanket prohibition from carry in places of worship and allows each congregation to decide the matter
    - prohibits state from creating database of GWCL holders (Probabte judges issue the licenses)
    - allows for 18-20 year old military members to obatain GWCL (currently exempt in GA, will allow carry out of state)
    - removes governor's authority to restrict carry during emergencies (last governor vetoed bills with this in it)

I will be thoroughly reading the bill as there were some legislative shenanigans at play. The Senate tried to mess with things, but the House outmaneuvered them in the end. There are some provisions that were in the original bill that are very pertinent to 4th Amendment issues.

I'm presenting my class on the carry laws at a conference in August; so, I have some updating to do.
    Sounds like awesome news.

If Wilmington weren't doing such a truly awesome job right now, I'd bail out of here in a heartbeat.

Site Supporter
    Nice.

I'm hopeful we'll see some progress in TX next year. We're falling behind here.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yes, it is a very good day in Georgia for gun rights and for advocates of liberty. Of course there's always more that can be done, but HB60 is a good bill and it's been several years since we've made substantive gains on gun rights here in Georgia.

Sorry you're going to have updating to do on your class info, but it's for the better Chief!

The only question remaining is when will the governor sign it, and when will it become law. Generally legislation becomes law by July 1 of the year it's passed & signed, so we have to wait and see at the moment.

But indeed, the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the gun rights movement in Georgia is doing a pretty happy dance today. Thanks in VERY large part to the efforts of the folks at http://www.GeorgiaCarry.Org
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    Sorry you're going to have updating to do on your class info, but it's for the better Chief!
    I will happily do this update.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post

I am so getting a .22lr suppressor now.

Awesome stuff. This is the kind of competition I want my State to be in.........who can come up with the best "real common sense" firearms policies.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Yep, this is really good news. It's hard to describe just how much better the laws are in Georgia since I moved here about 6 years ago. When I left Ohio they had recently made some significant improvements that made the situation in GA look somewhat bleak in comparison. That is no longer true.

Excellent news, Chief. Good luck with your presentation.

That fingerprint fee sounds sorta high, I am glad that is not an obstacle now. I think I paid nine bucks the last time I had it done.

Finally, this is firearms legislation that I support.

User Tag List