Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M9A1 versus 92A1

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Hard to understand why they don't streamline the 92 series and address the front sight issue. You would think the research department would identify drawbacks in their product line. Maybe now with Wilson Combat on board the head honchos in product development will listen to what the end users are asking for.
    If I recall my Beretta trivia right, the problem is that the original 92FS slide isn't wide enough to support a dovetailed front sight. That's why all the models with that feature have wider slides then the standard gun, including the 92A1 which is a 90-Two in 92FS clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    If I recall my Beretta trivia right, the problem is that the original 92FS slide isn't wide enough to support a dovetailed front sight. That's why all the models with that feature have wider slides then the standard gun, including the 92A1 which is a 90-Two in 92FS clothing.
    Except that the only place a 92A1 slide is wider than a standard FS slide, according to my calipers, is the area under the barrel where the recoil spring guide rod passes through. It's certainly not a Brigadier slide, nor is it really an in-betweener, as measured at the cocking serrations, locking block area, or the area immediately behind where the slide tapers in front to meet the muzzle.

All the measurements I have taken from my 92 slides sure indicate to me the somehow, Beretta did find a way to machine a dovetail in there. Again though, that's just me checking things with calipers in a spare room, not someone with an intricate measuring layout in a real machine shop.

ETA: I did a quick check of the area where the front sight sits on one of my FS's and one of my 92A1's. The A1 is about .015" thicker top to bottom here than the FS. So I guess that's how they were able to add the dovetail and replaceable front sight.
    Last edited by Jared; 03-22-2014 at 02:58 PM.

User Tag List