Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Competition Association

Pocket Carry Competition Association

There's a new competition league starting up here in North Carolina: the Pocket Carry Competition Association. This is the brainchild of Dean Brevit, the owner of Caswell Ranch. The idea is to give people who carry small "pocket pistols" or revolvers an action shooting league in which to hone their skills. I'm not very familiar with the rules for IDPA BUG matches, but from what others have said, the PCCA rules are a bit different. Currently only handguns with a barrel length of 3.12 inches or less are allowed, so we're not talking compact Glocks and M&Ps; it's really meant to be a place for those 2" revolvers, pocket .380s and similar guns.

I shot at the first match last Saturday with my Kahr MK9, and was sufficiently humbled by the experience. I blogged about it here. It sounds like there's already some interest from a couple of other ranges around the country, and I believe Dean said a gun rag or two is planning a story on it. I think PCCA fills a pretty significant gap in what the other action shooting leagues out there are offering and I think a lot of people could benefit if this took off.
    Chris
    Last edited by LGChris; 02-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Sounds like fun.

One of the clubs that I shoot IDPA at runs an annual BUG match. It was interesting to see the usual high placing shooters at the back of the pack. You could really tell who practiced with that J-frame or small auto.

It's too bad they exclude compact Glocks or M&P's...

I run my pocket carry Kahr PM9 in a few matches every year, including reloading from a pocket carrier.
    It's quite fun and with some dedicated practice you can surprise a lot of shooters.
    I've run a sub-7 FAST from a pocket (including a pocket reload) with my PM9.
    I design the stages for our local CCW matches and try to make them low capacity friendly for pocket guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    It's not that Glocks and M&Ps are specifically not allowed, but their barrel length is over the limit. It seems that they determined 3.12" is about the cutoff that generally distinguishes "pocket" type tiny semi-autos and snubby revolvers from the larger compacts like the G26 and the like. My other carry piece is an M&P compact and though its barrel length is not much longer than my Kahr's, the difference in shooting the two is night and day. And that's kind of the idea... bring out those harder-to-shoot guns and put yourself to the test.

Chris

Rats, that puts my PPS over the limit with its luxurious 3.2" barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaker View Post
    It's not that Glocks and M&Ps are specifically not allowed, but their barrel length is over the limit. It seems that they determined 3.12" is about the cutoff that generally distinguishes "pocket" type tiny semi-autos and snubby revolvers from the larger compacts like the G26 and the like. My other carry piece is an M&P compact and though its barrel length is not much longer than my Kahr's, the difference in shooting the two is night and day. And that's kind of the idea... bring out those harder-to-shoot guns and put yourself to the test.

Chris

That's a shame, I don't carry or own any mouse guns.

Yeah. To this league that beast of a cannon is a tricked out open race gun.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

That's a shame, I don't carry or own any mouse guns.
    There are plenty of places to shoot full size guns, finding a match where the limits of a pocket gun still allow you to be competitive? That is much rarer, even IDPA BUG matches have people show up and shoot Glock 19s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin Montana View Post
    even IDPA BUG matches have people show up and shoot Glock 19s.
    Not legally. The G19 has a 4.01" barrel, and the limit is 3.8". That said even a 26 is a huge advantage over a typical pocket gun.

User Tag List