Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does holster wear really matter?

My P-01 has wear marks in about the same areas. Using a Blade-Tech IDPA kit.

Am I crazy for thinking carry wear looks GOOD on a gun?

My 92FS has some left wide wear marks from being carried, and ironically I like it more that way. Sense of pride knowing it's been places and all.

I like the looks of a gun with honest wear.

My carry pistol has lots of character. I just noticed the other day that the light rail has a slight bevel worn into it from rubbing in the holster.

On the other hand, the 70 series Colt Gold Cup with the nearly pristine bluing, stays in the safe. It is a target pistol and not reliable enough for carry the way it is setup anyway.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I would imagine your Grandfather would want you to shoot the snot out of his old blaster!

If you plan on selling it down the road as an investment piece - then I wouldn't shoot it much or at all. But if you are like me and have a mental block whenever it comes to selling a gun passed down to you from your ancestors, then I doubt very much you are looking at turning a buck on the gun.

Wear it, shoot it, and when the finish looks too raggedy for your likings, get it re-finished and begin the cycle again.

Your Grandfather would like it that way.

Yeah, never selling this Hi Power. I love it too much. I am doing some work to get it ready for IDPA ESP though. Got me a Cylinder & Slide wide trigger (with magazine disconnect removed), wide/extended safety, recoil buffer, Wilson Combat spring kit, C&S No Bite Hammer kit and the Blade Tech IDPA pack. I should be running this in the next week in the Seattle area IDPA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^Yup^, looks pretty normal to me.

My duty G17 is all kinds of torn up looking from being in various kydex and synthaleather holsters over the past 8 years.
    My G19 looks similar as well after riding in a RCS for 5 years. The X300 looks like it got the worst of the wear though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    My G19 looks similar as well after riding in a RCS for 5 years. The X300 looks like it got the worst of the wear though.
    Ok cool. Glad to hear mine doesn't look abnormal. From earlier comments I was getting the impression I shouldn't see that much wear in the first year. I don't mind the look at all, as long as it is not a sign of a bigger problem.

How much does holster wear really matter?

OP, I commend you for wanting run the pistol! I have an FN Hi-Power brought back from WWII, as well as a WWII-era Rem Rand R1. Both have significant sentimental value to me, and thus get nice, soft, temp-controlled storage.

As has been said, all holsters will wear. It's just a matter of what you can accept, and what type of use and holster the gun will have. It will happen with use...regardless.

Good luck!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ok cool. Glad to hear mine doesn't look abnormal. From earlier comments I was getting the impression I shouldn't see that much wear in the first year. I don't mind the look at all, as long as it is not a sign of a bigger problem.
    Nope. My G34 (rides in a G17 Blade Tech holster) and G19 are both a little thin around the muzzle. No issues, even in the Florida humidity:

User Tag List