Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does holster wear really matter?

Question How much does holster wear really matter?

I recently inherited my grandfather's Hi Power that I plan to run for the next year in heavy IDPA use in preparation for the 2015 IDPA World Championships in my home of Puerto Rico. But I'm kind of worried of destroying the finish on the gun with a kydex holster. How much of a worry is holster wear? Do certain types of holsters prevent wear and tear? I see recommendations for smoothed-inner holster, kangaroo leather, lined holsters, etc.

My other pistol is more of a tool and I don't particularly care if it gets dinged, but this I kind of do care. Am I worried over nothing or is there a holster I can get that I don't have to worry about the finish wearing off?

Site Supporter
    All holsters are going to wear the finish. If this gun has sentimental value, and holster wear would bother you, don't put it in a holster. If possible, I'd put the gun in the back of the safe and get something that's wear resistant - like a Glock.

This may help you too:
    http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...l=1#post125361

Thanks for the link, I didn't find it in my search.

I won't miss the opp to say holster wear looks awesome on a gun. But leather friction wear on a blued gun looks way cooler than kydex wear on a finish. But you gotta change with the times I guess.

I just wish the Glocks I use for so many thousands draws would show more of it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I just wish the Glocks I use for so many thousands draws would show more of it.
    At least it helps with the resale. I can put 20K through a Gen4 Glock the barrel hood looks like the old Gen3 guns at 5K.

We are diminished
    I guess it depends on just how sensitive you are to sand in your... holster.

If you don't want to wear the finish on a gun, don't put it in a holster. Kydex wears edges quickly. Leather wears larger areas more slowly but more noticeably over time. If a gun has sentimental value I wouldn't recommend it as a competition gun or carry gun, or for any other purpose that could stress it, increase the odds of it being lost, stolen, confiscated, etc.

I'll just have to live with what happens then.

I feel like I have to use this Hi Power. It has some history to it and the fact that this was my granddad's sidearm in PR for many years, it seems more than fitting that I train and shoot for the 2015 match in PR with this Hi Power. It'll be a homecoming for me and the Hi Power.

I inherited a very nice, very expensive Colt Commander from an uncle of mine. I know that I honor that gift more by using it than letting it sit in the safe.

Site Supporter
    Kitten. I guess from the discussion above the wear in the attached pic is abnormal? It's a glock 19 that is less than a year old. I use a raven holster with it.

^Yup^, looks pretty normal to me.

My duty G17 is all kinds of torn up looking from being in various kydex and synthaleather holsters over the past 8 years.

User Tag List