Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retro AR15s (or other platforms)

Retro AR15s (or other platforms)

David Armstrong, eat your heart out:

Just bought this today. Not totally original, so I'd say it's more retro inspired. I'm going for a 607-like build. Nodak slick-side upper, A1 rear sights, everything in XM gray. Midlength gas system because I think it's the cats meow....plus I can't SBR like the original 607, so the longer triangle hand guards will balance out the look compared to carbine length triangular grips. It's got a heavy barrel, so I think I'll turn it down to .575" for a hefty weight reduction. It also has a Nodak retro charging handle.

I had made a thread a while back about featherweight 223 rifles, and that's pretty much what this is fulfilling. I wanted a retro kick to it as well, just because I've always wanted a 607. Should be a pretty simple, very lightweight, bare-bones carbine.

For the lower I'm going to buy a Nodak XM gray receiver, with an A1 grip. I think I'll use one of the old N1 style CAR stocks, as it's the closest to "right" that I'll get, while maintaining the whole lightweight mantra I'm going for. Repro 607 stocks cost upwards of $500 or so, as well......and I'm simply not going to pay out that many shekels.

So, I figured I'd start a thread. Post up your retro guns, start a discussion or something.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Anyone know where to get a quality "Fiberite"-style CAR stock?

M4carbine.net has some from time to time in the market place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Figured I'd update this.

Along the way I bought parts here and there. I've had all the parts now since last summer, but had been wanting to save some cash to send it out for an XM gray finish from US Anodizing. I've finally realized that just isn't going to happen because of money, so I started looking at alternatives. I picked up a $12 rattle can of Brownells Aluma-Hyde II, which is a spray-on epoxy finish. It also doesn't require oven curing like Duracoat, Cerakote or Brownell's Gun-Kote....though you can do so at low temp just to speed up the curing. I've read posts of guys curing it at 350* like other finishes and it ruining it.....most commonly by making it really glossy, or at worst burning the color.

I spray my PSA lower receiver, external lower parts, and buffer tube on Wednesday. With the understanding that it is a $12 finish, I'm pretty damn happy. It's not an exact match, but looks a whole lot better than a mismatched black lower. It was fairly easy, though I did get some imperfections on the right side of the lower when I tried spraying the 2nd coat without first spraying just for the sake of cleaning out the nozzle, and it spitted some. The rest of the lower and all other parts came out perfect with a matte finish. I did 3 light coats, 10 minutes apart, letting the spray mist the parts. Going heavier and doing thick coats will result in a glossy finish, from what I can learn by looking at various examples across the gunternet.

Just waiting until Wednesday to assemble the lower. Just want to make sure it's fully cured.

Aluma-Hyde is pretty easy to use, and cheap. I'd totally use it to refinish some other beater pieces for fun. Supposedly it's more durable and more solvent-friendly than just Krylon or engine paint, but not as durable as a "real" bake-on finish. Fair compromise. Also, for what it's worth, it doesn't feel like an epoxy finish, with how some of them feel gummy, plastic like, ect....it still feels like a piece of anodized aluminum, which is nice.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-18-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Figured I'd update this.

Along the way I bought parts here and there. I've had all the parts now since last summer, but had been wanting to save some cash to send it out for an XM gray finish from US Anodizing. I've finally realized that just isn't going to happen because of money, so I started looking at alternatives. I picked up a $12 rattle can of Brownells Aluma-Hyde II, which is a spray-on epoxy finish. It also doesn't require oven curing like Duracoat, Cerakote or Brownell's Gun-Kote....though you can do so at low temp just to speed up the curing. I've read posts of guys curing it at 350* like other finishes and it ruining it.....most commonly by making it really glossy, or at worst burning the color.

I spray my PSA lower receiver, external lower parts, and buffer tube on Wednesday. With the understanding that it is a $12 finish, I'm pretty damn happy. It's not an exact match, but looks a whole lot better than a mismatched black lower. It was fairly easy, though I did get some imperfections on the right side of the lower when I tried spraying the 2nd coat without first spraying just for the sake of cleaning out the nozzle, and it spitted some. The rest of the lower and all other parts came out perfect with a matte finish. I did 3 light coats, 10 minutes apart, letting the spray mist the parts. Going heavier and doing thick coats will result in a glossy finish, from what I can learn by looking at various examples across the gunternet.

Just waiting until Wednesday to assemble the lower. Just want to make sure it's fully cured.

Aluma-Hyde is pretty easy to use, and cheap. I'd totally use it to refinish some other beater pieces for fun. Supposedly it's more durable and more solvent-friendly than just Krylon or engine paint, but not as durable as a "real" bake-on finish. Fair compromise. Also, for what it's worth, it doesn't feel like an epoxy finish, with how some of them feel gummy, plastic like, ect....it still feels like a piece of anodized aluminum, which is nice.
    I may have to do this...

Site Supporter
    I've been wanting a Colt SP-1 rifle or an M16A1 clone for some time. Back in the late 80's Early 90's I had a colt SP-1 lower with an M16A1 upper the colors didn't match but it shot and functioned well. I had a an Action Arms ultra dot in an ARMS carry handle mount. Another gun in the book of tears..,,

... had been wanting to save some cash to send it out for an XM gray finish from US Anodizing. I've finally realized that just isn't going to happen because of money...
    What? How much does that finish cost???

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    What? How much does that finish cost???

$150 for the lower reciever, almost another hundred for the buffer tube and lower parts.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I've been wanting a Colt SP-1 rifle or an M16A1 clone for some time. Back in the late 80's Early 90's I had a colt SP-1 lower with an M16A1 upper the colors didn't match but it shot and functioned well. I had a an Action Arms ultra dot in an ARMS carry handle mount. Another gun in the book of tears..,,
    Go for it! It's a great time to do it.

I had ADCO do the work to turn down the barrel to .575". With the popularity of .625" lightweight barrels, you might even be able to get a 20" and save yourself the lathe work.

This could actually been a fun idea for a sort-of retro/unique build......if you have a full auto AR lower.....

.....especially with the new D60 drums coming out

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=495034673

Anyone know where to get a quality "Fiberite"-style CAR stock?
    M&A Parts has this one for a decent price. I have a few and they seem decent enough.
    https://www.mapartsinc.com/shop/deta...97&iSubTwo=408

User Tag List