Thread: SIG P220 Series & SAO model Durability/Service Life

SIG P220 Series & SAO model Durability/Service Life

Hi I'm new to the forum. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge from proffesionals and shooters that have actual experience. IMHO this is one of if not the best firearms boards.

I've read over the years here and on a few other reputable sights about the SIG P220 .45 durability/reliability issues mainly in reference to high round counts. It makes sense that the same design in 9mm would be more durable.

I used to own a P220 Carry SAO. Sold it stupidly and would like to pickup another and make it my training pistol(model). I'd probably buy 2 if not 3 so I could have a shooter/backup and another as a low round count proven carry pistol.

From what I've gathered the main problem areas for durability are the locking block and takedown lever? I know the combat version of the takedown lever is reinforced supposedly being more durable. Also I've read that it's prudent to keep the recoil and magazine springs fresh to maintain the feed reliability.

If I were to religiously change out my springs and keep up replacing broken takedown levers/locking blocks when they occur would that be sufficient to use the pistol to high round counts? And by high round counts I mean 30-50k.

Also, I really like the stainless framed P220's. I understand the theory of the lack of frame flex in the steel frame vs the aluminum alloy frames, causing the takedown levers and locking blocks to break earlier. What I'm really asking in regards to the P220 frame material is if it's necessary from a durability standpoint in reference to the frame to get a steel frame?

As long as the slide/frame/barrel have sufficient durability I don't mind having to replace a takedown lever or locking block here or there.

Thanks in advance for the P220 durability experiences/knowledge.
    Last edited by Dcowboyscr; 03-12-2014 at 09:28 PM.

We are diminished
    I'm unaware of problems with the locking inserts on P220s. I haven't followed the model in recent years but at least as late as 2007 it wasn't a recurring issue.

The takedown lever issue was twofold: one related directly to the ST steel frame guns and the other unrelated to any model (P220 or otherwise), SIG just contracted a bunch of bad takedown levers over the years and put them in the entire P22x series.

There have been all sorts of problems with various extractor designs in the P220. I'm not certain what the current production P220 uses... I believe it is the "short MIM" extractor which can be replaced by a Gray Guns hardened tool steel version for relatively little money.

Plenty of P220s have hit the 30-50k mark with regular proper maintenance. Last I knew, SIG was recommending changing the recoil spring every 3,000 rounds on their .45s.

John Hearne may pop in and be able to provide tons of great information. He's probably been running P220s as hard as anyone for the past several years.

"We re-engineered these little beauties to provide a bit less standoff and optimize proper feeding..."

I didn't know the existing extractors had hook issues.

Is the Gray extractor for just the 220, or also for the 226/229?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Website says "P Series."

there is a ten page thread on the extractors on sigforum.

I was at a match where one popped out of the slide of a 229. That one was not a failed part but rather a combination of dirty reloads and lack of cleaning caused a build up of crud between the extractor and the cut out. The extractor looked to be ok but the spring and pin were no where to be found.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Does anyone know who sells the spring that tensions the manual safety lever? Also are other SAO parts to convert a regular DA/SA to SAO available? I know the frame must have the cuts for SAO parts.

Anyone hit any high round counts with a P220 here?

User Tag List