Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 9mm ammo, 147gr Gold Dot vs HST?

In the old Firearms Tactical articles on the subject, the standard pressure 124gr Gold Dot was actually recommended for folks using service sized 9mm pistols.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs9.htm

I'd carry it without losing sleep if I couldn't get my preferred +P, same-same with the 147gr
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Just picked up 200 rounds of 124 HST, couldn't find any GD

Both the standard pressure 124 gr GD and HST work fine.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

When I've chronographed the 124 grain standard pressure and + P Gold Dot loads out of my G17 a while back, most of it was running at a velocity over factory spec. The standard pressure was right about the factory spec velocity for + P (1220 fps) and the actual + P rounds were going between 1260 and 1310 or so, depending on the specific lot. I carry the + P because I have it, but the standard pressure would be just great too.

The only exception to the above that I personally have run across is some surplus standard pressure 124 gr. Gold Dot that was supposedly rejected from a French National Police contract for being loaded hotter than they wanted. I chrono'd it at the stated factory velocity of 1150 fps for standard pressure. Also great ammo from my use of it. Very accurate.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    When I've chronographed the 124 grain standard pressure and + P Gold Dot loads out of my G17 a while back, most of it was running at a velocity over factory spec. The standard pressure was right about the factory spec velocity for + P (1220 fps) and the actual + P rounds were going between 1260 and 1310 or so, depending on the specific lot. I carry the + P because I have it, but the standard pressure would be just great too.
    That's at least partially because you were shooting it out of a 4.5" barrel and the chrono numbers for that stuff are based on a 4.0" barrel. Also, your barrel had polygonal rifling which probably resulted in an (admittedly very slight) increase in velocity over the factory test barrel's likely standard rifling.

Shoot it out of a 4" barrel with conventional rifling and I'll bet you'll get numbers a lot closer to Speer's.
    Last edited by ILoveSigs; 02-03-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    G2 can be expensive, hard to find, and is as yet not well proven in actual use (only 2 OIS I am aware of).
    That didn't take long. Any details you can share?

Ammo varies from lot to lot. I've crono'd the +P 124gr Gold Dot as high as 1275 average from my 5906s when we were carrying those, and as slow as in the 1220s.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Nope. But it did work acceptably in both shootings, although neither were shots to the torso.

No BS question: What defines of an ammo "Lot"?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Nope. But it did work acceptably in both shootings, although neither were shots to the torso.

No BS question: What defines of an ammo "Lot"?
    Were they to the head, then?

User Tag List