Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo, 147gr Gold Dot vs HST?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I notice that in SOME bare gel test the faster bullet penetrates less.

Like comparing 5.56mm SP and the 223 Rem SP ( loaded with same bullet)
    The 223rem will have more penetration because the bullet is moving slower.

Or with standard pressure vs +P using the same bullet.
    Yes, sometimes the +P bullet expands more than the standard pressure load.....or expands more quickly resulting in a more shallow final position in the soft gel. The end result is higher degree of trauma earlier during penetration, a larger expanded bullet resulting in more trauma.......or if expansion is the same as the standard pressure load you would get greater penetration. Higher impact energy and momentum are multiplied by the higher velocity of +P loads generating better barrier penetration too. Other than the concerns about additional recoil, its hard to find a downside to the 147gr+P load.

Some data about HST and others, this series of FBI compliant tests this guy is doing is perfect for me as I have a 3" barrel Nano.

Enjoy.

147gr HSt standard is tested here. +P test will be posted soon.

I carry HST 124gr. That test is here:
    Last edited by campbed; 03-22-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Yes, sometimes the +P bullet expands more than the standard pressure load.....or expands more quickly resulting in a more shallow final position in the soft gel. The end result is higher degree of trauma earlier during penetration, a larger expanded bullet resulting in more trauma.......or if expansion is the same as the standard pressure load you would get greater penetration. Higher impact energy and momentum are multiplied by the higher velocity of +P loads generating better barrier penetration too. Other than the concerns about additional recoil, its hard to find a downside to the 147gr+P load.
    I agree! I think the 147HST+P is the first +P in the weight class that I know of.

I saw a test using a 9mm with a barrel under 3inches . Gold Dot 124+P vs SB 124 GD +P
    In the test the SB load did a better job.

Im going to use Federal Bonded 124 and If I cant get a hold of it I will be using 124 HST.

Chuck states that the Barnes 115+P 1100FPS (midwayusa velocity) is low recoiling. So you might check it out? I know I'm going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I saw a test using a 9mm with a barrel under 3inches . Gold Dot 124+P vs SB 124 GD +P
    In the test the SB load did a better job.

Im going to use Federal Bonded 124 and If I cant get a hold of it I will be using 124 HST.

Chuck states that the Barnes 115+P 1100FPS (midwayusa velocity) is low recoiling. So you might check it out? I know I'm going to.
    Lot to lot variation? My understanding is that in 9, the SB is identical to the normal flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    Lot to lot variation? My understanding is that in 9, the SB is identical to the normal flavors.
    The bullet is the same. Short barrel uses a faster burning powder to get the pressure high enough for adequate velocity out of a shorter barrel.

I was under the impression that they modify the loads in every caliber other than 9. I could be wrong.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    I was under the impression that they modify the loads in every caliber other than 9. I could be wrong.....
    Can't say either way on that. I haven't heard anything other than the bullet is the same between the standard pressure, +P, and SB 124gr GD loads.

Last I checked, the 124 gr 9 mm is the same; the other loads have differences.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    If you want more penetration from the 147gr HST.....go 147gr+P
    I can feel more recoil (and see more flash) with the standard pressure Federal HST 147 grain JHP load compared to the Winchester Ranger 147 grain JHP load. For that reason I prefer the Ranger load, and think I would like the +P version of the HST even less in terms of 'shootability'. I know for many the differences I am describing are not very noticeable, perhaps I am like the Princess and the pea... I guess I will stick with the Ranger RA9T load.

Thank you for your comments, Symmetry...

User Tag List