Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9BPLE

We are diminished

9BPLE

I can only assume it's because of the huge run on premium JHP ammo in general but the price of 9BPLE (from ATK) has gone up 40% over the past six months. I used to be able to buy it at just a buck or so a box more than practice ammo. Now it's basically the same price as HST. Then again, two or three years ago my HST price was just a buck or two more per box than American Eagle, too.

But I mean, I can't carry a P229 and not at least have some 9BPLE lying around. I keep telling myself I won't carry it... I won't carry it... I won't... All those guys who dropped like flies in IL and IN for years were just shocked by the loud report... I get it...

I used to buy it back in the day for about $10 a box. I'll just buy HST and GDHP's for carry ammo today.

Pick me up a box of Nyclads while you're shopping, Todd.

Is that the +P+ 115gr load.

Only 9mm +P I could get back then was Corbon and Remington then later on Speer GD
    I still have a box of the old Remington 115+P.

BTW
    I took out the P30S V3 9mm w/ TLR-1 yesterday. I got tiered of waiting for my fingers to heal .

I started with 53620 Lawman 147gr thinking it would be softer to shoot. After the 1st shot WOW that's has a lot of recoil for a 9mm.

After 100rds I was ready to give up shooting 147gr loads .

This is my first poly framed pistol , and have been told that poly frame soak's up some of the recoil . I think rather have a heavy metal frame pistol like my old S&W 5906 9mm

Anyway I broke out the 53616 Lawman 124gr TMJ. . The 124 seem mild compared to the 147gr loads. And was pleasant to shoot.

As you know Todd I was going to use the HST 124+P for SD ?

I may rethink and use the standard pressure 124gr load instead Or if I try the surgery who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Loved those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I started with 53620 Lawman 147gr thinking it would be softer to shoot. After the 1st shot WOW that's has a lot of recoil for a 9mm.

After 100rds I was ready to give up shooting 147gr loads .

This is my first poly framed pistol , and have been told that poly frame soak's up some of the recoil . I think rather have a heavy metal frame pistol like my old S&W 5906 9mm

Anyway I broke out the 53616 Lawman 124gr TMJ. . The 124 seem mild compared to the 147gr loads. And was pleasant to shoot.

As you know Todd I was going to use the HST 124+P for SD ?

I may rethink and use the standard pressure 124gr load instead Or if I try the surgery who knows?
    Speer Lawman is pretty weak in 124gr through a 4" barrel. I get an average velocity of only 1050fps, while the 147gr Lawman is full power at approximately 965fps. So, not an apples to apples comparison when you compare Lawman to defensive loadings.

As far as standard pressure loads go, I am not a fan of 115gr and 124gr standard pressure loads in 4" or shorter barrels. We used 124gr Gold Dots in our MP5s in the late 1990s, but that was through a 9" barrel which upped the velocity and it wasn't a problem. For HSTs, I only get an average of 1090fps for standard pressure 124gr through a 4" barrel. 147gr HSTs on the other hand measures at 980fps through the same 4" barrel. 124+P HSTs average 1175fps. Longer, heavier bullets stay in the barrel longer and allow powder to burn more efficiently. For barrels of 4" or less, I think you should stick with either 147gr standard pressure, or 124gr+P. I prefer 147gr for its better windshield performance, better expansion reliability(deeper hollow point, less likely to plug), and larger expanded and unexpanded projectile(expanded bullets tumble).
    Last edited by Symmetry; 03-06-2014 at 10:02 PM.

One of the cop distributors, GT I think, was selling BPLE pre panic for like $17 a box, it has gone up quite a bit, when you can find it. I keep some of hand just because the wife's PM9 will feed VERY few JHPs, that that's one on the list.

I shoot and see quite a bit of 53620. It has been reliable across 9mm frame sizes and barrel lengths, hits to the same POI as HST and GDHP duty loads in the same weight. While producing a full 147gr recoil impulse like the duty ammo, I still find it a very agreeable in even the small guns.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've never bought any 9BPLE, but I will admit that I still have a fondness for the 9BP in 4" or longer barreled guns. It's always been Match accurate in pretty much any gun I've tried it with. SG Ammo just put some 9BP up for like $19.98 a box (50), which isn't too bad these days. I haven't seen any BPLE anywhere for some time though.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Ya need one?

User Tag List