Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P30 Initial Impressions

What is funny is that I do not necessarily "shoot" the P30/HK45 "better" than other systems, but I do "run" them better across the board. "Running" them is a subjective conglomeration of a bunch of stuff, but it falls into my view that it's more than just "shooting" for what I am looking for in a carry pistol. With that said, some of the best scores I have shot on various drills lately have been with the HK's. (All LEM guns).
    I figured out a long time ago with the subtle guidance of a legendary firearms instructor in SoCal that I need a different grip for every gun ("son, that ain't a 1911, so stop holding it like one"). Luckily, I have a ton of time teaching and carrying USP's with their gigantic slide release, and my "weird" HK grip works really well with the P30/HK45. The one thing I have found, particularly with the LEM guns is that you need to give them time. Most can pick up a Glock and shoot them fairly well (low and left, but well). The HK's seem to need to be learned a little, but I find a better return on the investment in the long run.

Personally, I am excited about the HK striker fired pistol not because of the trigger, but because I can now have a teaching gun that works and feels like the rest of my stuff...essentially "runs" the same with simply a different trigger.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    I spent about 4 hours on the range this past Sunday trying to figure out what I shoot the best or even if there was a difference. This included an LEM P30 and a Glock 19. The test was done with guns that I have a good amount of time behind. Maybe I should post the results?
    I'd be very interested - especially since I already own a few of the pistols in the picture you shared. After starting with and only shooting Glocks for years, I'm discovering TDA pistols, and I like them.

Bob

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    "Running" them is a subjective conglomeration of a bunch of stuff, but it falls into my view that it's more than just "shooting" for what I am looking for in a carry pistol.
    Thank you in advance for the blog article I will now steal from this statement.

Site Supporter
    Lot2Learn,

Here is a great thread on the LEM that our friend Nyeti posted a while back: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...street+trigger

It is one of my favorite threads as of lately and you may find it quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Thank you in advance for the blog article I will now steal from this statement.
    Cause I'm a giver...................
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Cause I'm a giver...................
    I thought the penicillin fixed that.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I thought the penicillin fixed that.
    I don't think penicillin cures that, Todd.

Having said that, do you feel like you've reached your personal zenith with the Glock? Or are you still improving over time?
    Todd, to answer your question yes I am improving over time. The sole reason for me shooting the P30 was, I wanted to try something different. There are a lot of things that I am discovering about the Glock pistol still. For instance, I can perform a reload on a G17 faster. I am confident that this is due to the length of the handle, I am sure that there are some shooters on the forum that have gotten blood blisters or worse from the base pad on a 19. I also think that while the glock 34 is good gun for both games and carry, I prefer the way the 17 shoots. Sounds weird, but that is MY perception. You are absolutely right that changing guns is expensive and that the ammo would be a better investment in the long run. I guess my ultimate goal here would be to be able to shoot any pistol with proficiency, cold and on demand. Hence the "experiment" with the P30.

So now what? Maybe I should get a JM AIWB for the 17 and go from there....Would be nice to have "The Gadget" though

Quote Originally Posted by Lot2Learn View Post
    So...I was able to finally shoot a P30 tonight. The gun even has the TLG LEM trigger in it complete with the Heine sights. My background is with Glocks, I have been carrying a G19 for the past 4 years or so and it has served me well, I have taken a couple of classes with it, including AFHF. I like the G19, it's reliable and accurate as well as easy for me to shoot. In USPSA, I shoot the G17 which for all intents and purposes is like shooting the same gun. Now, back to the H&K.

I have always wanted to shoot one with the LEM trigger, Most people on this forum can understand why. For me, it was because I am bored with my Glocks and I think it is time to learn how to shoot another gun. I also wanted to know what the big deal is about a gun that costs twice as much as glock and I am not really interesting in the M&P at this point. Here are my thoughts.

What I liked:

1. This gun is accurate!
    2. Recoil is very controllable and smooth. I like how the sights track.
    3. Trigger, I like how the LEM works. This gun feels like it was made for the press-out. Reset will take some getting used to but I don't think it would be too hard.
    4. Sights, I had forgotten how much I like the Heine straight Eight. Right now I have been shooting the Warrens but I may change back to these. They are easier for me to stay focused on the front sight.

What I didn't like:
    1. I have to change my grip to get the slide to lock back consistently. Frankly, it felt foreign. Again, probably a training issue. Doing a 1R2 drill was downright frustrating.

So besides my grip issues, I really like this pistol. Does it function in a manner totally different than my current pistols? Absolutely! But, that is half the fun. I would really like to buy one, But the price is the hardest part for me to deal with. Yes, I know I would be getting a great pistol I just don't have the funds to buy one. Right now I would just like to have a case of ammo or two...I am sure some of you can relate.

I guess my biggest take away from this was that I like the LEM trigger a lot. It makes me think of what else I may be missing out on, like TDA guns. Time will tell.
    I shot a P30S V3 9mm w/ TLR-1 for the first time yesterday.
    I to was worried about the slide stop and a place to rest my thumb. I rest my thumb on part of the rail. I had 0 problems but only shot 200rds.

Don't like

stock sights that about it !

And I don't care for the recoil of the lawman 147gr TMJ loads. ( also have broken finger that refuses to heal) So that might of added to things??

The 124 Lawman was pleasant to shoot ! very mild compared to the 147gr.. I was surprised I shot 147 in my 5906 and never notice such a big difference before.

Accuracy seems good with both TMJ loads.

New sights and better quality JHP ammo I know it will only get better.

BTW
    Still packing my Sig P229 40cal

Guinnessman,

Thanks for the article. I remember reading it a while ago. It is one of the reasons I wanted to shoot the P30 in the first place. It does bring up some valid points on different triggers. Good read, Thanks!

User Tag List