Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Carjacking: Tactics and Mindset.

Double tap
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    (I'm just saying, by all means keep your wits about you, but sometimes it's nice to lend a hand when you're able.)

I'm with you, best for everyone.

I stop to see if people need help. Once, I stopped, the guy asked if I had a 1/2" wrench. I did, it was all he needed, he was able to get going again fairly easily. Have stopped and helped a 70-something year old lady with a flat, helped put a vehicle fire out once (donated my extinguisher to the cause), helped change a number of tires, gave a ride to a girl walking in a blizzard when her car went off the road. We went and got her car pulled out and on the road. She wants to go shooting once the weather gets warm. Once I was broke down, not a good place, had a blowout on a ramp in a city late at night. I couldn't get the lugs broken loose. A mex dude, sort of wild looking stopped. Between us, we managed to get the lugs broke loose.

Yes, keep your wits about you, but I still don't mind helping.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Last week, a dude at a remote trailhead said his car got broken into while he was running. Fed me a story about how he wanted to run with the fewest keys possible, so he left the ignition key in the car and just took the door key with him. Thieves took keys, wallet, phone. I cut my hike short and gave him a ride into town to get his spare ignition key, and back, 40 minutes each way. I let him use my phone to cancel cards & etc. Now we trade info on good trails in the area. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but so far it just looks like I made a friend. Maybe his accomplices are waiting for me top drop my guard.....

(I'm just saying, by all means keep your wits about you, but sometimes it's nice to lend a hand when you're able.)

I just read this article from ITS Tactical yesterday. Good information.

http://www.itstactical.com/intellico...come-a-victim/

Very early on a Saturday morning (around 0400) I had to drive into work in Milwaukee, which took me through an okay-but-not-great-neighborhood. At one stoplight, there is a man wearing unseasonably heavy clothing (not out of place in the area, really) leaned up against the gas station's tall sign with the prices on it. As I am slowing to stop, I see him look around and crane his neck and lean over to look down the cross street - at this point the hair on my neck stood up, so I listened and slid my hand under my lunch bag on the passenger seat and retrieved the only gun I carried at the time (CCW was still illegal here in WI) which was a little .22lr (a Walther P22 - Tam, don't hate me). Right after I came to a stop, he walked rather briskly towards the car, and I made direct eye contact. He said "yo, I wanna talk to you right quick, man. I wanna talk to you right quick" as he approached the passenger side window, and with his right hand in a coat pocket, he moved his arm towards the door handle. I retracted my arm so he could see the pistol and said something like "will this be a civil conversation?"* He replied with some variation of "yo, it's cool, man. We cool" as he backed away, and then turned and started slowly started walking down the street. The light was already green and someone was honking for me to move by the time I stopped watching him walk away.

First, I should have just run the light. I was already illegally carrying a firearm (a low level misdemeanor), what is a traffic infraction?
    Second, I learned what tunnel vision meant. As soon as he started walking towards the car I was focused on him and only him. When he reached for the door handle, I honestly don't remember seeing anything else but him until the car behind me honked its horn and snapped me out of it.

I got really lucky that either he didn't mean me harm and was just super nonchalant about having a gun pulled on him, or I got really lucky that he was alone, undetermined, and had a self preservation instinct. I don't know, but after that and a few "interviews" while I was leaving concert venues with my wife, I started taking self defense with a firearm a lot more seriously. I still get a weird cold feeling when I think about hearing that horn honk - I was still shaking for quite some time after I got to work.

*Somehow I don't think I vocalized anything that suave. It was probably more like "Wrrrrrrgarrrbblllll?!"
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

User Tag List