Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carjacking: Tactics and Mindset.

"Gas pedal" is a seriously underutilized avoidance, force, and escape option.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If they have you surrounded and say give up the car then "No" is the wrong answer. Get out, then maybe if you get a chance go for guns.

One thing I do often after dark is to not stop where I want to stop, I'll drive through and pull around the block and come in again before stopping. That let's me eyeball the area from a different angle while mobile.

Even with the dude who got straight up ambushed, if he had driven around the building, noticed "sketchy looking dudes" loitering around then he could have had the option of driving off and going elsewhere.
    This.

Anticipate. Think like an alley cat.

Pre-plan actions for places you frequent. Familiar does equal safe.

Look up Malicia. It's a street smart mindset approach that is a byproduct of Capoeira (the Brazilian fight-dance game)

An after the fact consideration, but I never ever have other keys on my vehicle key ring. I don't want to give them a key to my house, or even a key to the locking gas cap if they got my vehicle. Also never leave registration and insurance info in the vehicle, always in my wallet. Don't want to make it easy for them in any way.

Agree about the gas pedal. Leaving enough room ahead of you in traffic at lights to move, even a half car length makes it possible to maneuver. Watching the mirrors is good habit.

Good idea about doing a drive by before stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Having evaded a possible carjacking /robbery years ago, this is a subject with personal significance.

I recently watched a story about a set of carjackings , and in the first incident the four-deep set of thugs basically surrounded the driver as he stopped to drop off a friend. When he said "no", thug #1 started shooting and the victim was fatally hit.

Incident two was more ruthless. That time the same crew shot the driver at the outset at a 7-11 and took the car, which is how they got caught by patrol.

What tactics would ensure the best chance of survival for the citizen in this sort of ambush?
    My carjacking response is rather simple: "Yes sir, here you go, no problem. Tank's a little low, here is an extra $20 for gasoline. Mind if I grab my briefcase? Thanks." Just don't see much sense in getting into a big mess for no real reason. I figure if we get into a shootout I'll have to put the car in the shop for repair or it will be taken for evidence anyway, so why mess with it.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I mostly agree, although we have had some people locally get shot trying that in the wrong circumstances

Surrendering is not an option in my book when the family is aboard. Fight or flight, but no one is getting out of the car then.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I mostly agree, although we have had some people locally get shot trying that in the wrong circumstances
    As is what happened in the case I discovered. The victim was shot as he tried to flee, and crashed into a house once he succumbed to his wounds.

The second attack didn't even last long enough to get that far. They started the encounter by shooting the driver as he got out of the car at the 7-11.

This, plus I've picked up various techniques over the years driving a delivery truck and riding a motorcycle, and taking my wife to work through some dicey ares that couldn't be avoided.
    Learn to remove your seatbelt in a way that doesn't get you tangled up in it. Keep clothing cleared once in the vehicle so that you can easily get to your firearm. Keep a clear area in front of you if you have to move. I've told my wife when she drives home from her nursing job through said dicey areas that if she comes to a traffic light (late night and light traffic) that if there is a group of nerdowells gathered at the corner, run the light, especially in the summer when the gathering is easier for them.
    Keep the doors locked. What part of that do some people not get? One of the best things the car manufacturers have done is lock the door above a certain speed.
    Other suggestions here regarding awareness and avoidance are paramount as well.
    Anyone can be caught off guard for any number of reasons. It's best to have a plan (at least something thought out ahead of time) whether alone of with your family, as to how you will react. Let your family in on the plan as well and have them know what to do.
    I look forward to more suggestions here.
    Good thread.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Yeap.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Yeap.
    Jeez. I hope the officers were alright.

Man, nothing beats the muzzle energy of a 28,000,000 gr. squad car travelling at 30 fps.

User Tag List