Thread: Springfield armory RO 9mm or 45!?

Springfield armory RO 9mm or 45!?

Going to meet a guy tonigbt to hopefully get my first 1911. He has 2 rang officers. 1 is the "1 in 500" deal that is .45 the other is 9mm. I'm trading him a SIG556. I really want the 9mm because it's already a caliber I shoot. Would it be wise to get the 45 instead of the 9mm with this perticular 1911?

I think a lot of folks are having good luck with the 9mm RO, so I wouldn't shy away from it, if that's the one you want. Just be prepared to potentially go through a few different magazine types to find one that works well with the pistol.

Then again, if it's your first and only 1911, I feel somewhat obligated to tell you to go for the "real" 1911 and get the .45....

Site Supporter
    I owned a Springfield Armory Loaded model 9mm and it worked well. I posted my results in the "2,000 Round Challenge" thread where it passed with flying colors.

That said, it took me some time prior to the test period to discover which magazines worked best in that particular gun. I think owning a 9mm 1911 is a really fun option for range use and CAN be a good option for defensive use -- but ask yourself why you want the gun in the first place. If I could have only one 1911 it would be a .45. Chances are the .45ACP Range Officer will be a pretty reliable gun out of the box and may not be as picky about magazines as the 9mm version.

If you just want a range blaster, the 9mm 1911 is really fun to shoot. If you do buy the 9mm RO and someday decide you want to use it for a defensive weapon it's not too difficult to swap the adjustable target sights out for fixed sights, tritium night sights, etc...

*** just noticed jkb4c pretty much beat me to it
    Last edited by Robinson; 12-05-2014 at 04:34 PM.

He has 5 mags that have already been vested. And I feel the same way about getting one in .45. It would almost be a sin to have your first 1911 in anything other than the 45.. I'm gonna go fondle both tonight. I want the 45 because it seems to have a slightly better resale, but man id love to keep everything 1911

Driving back home with the 9mm

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    He has 5 mags that have already been vested
    That's going to be pretty handy if you get into IDPA.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

As someone with over a quarter of a century of 1911 use behind him, I'd recommend going with the .45acp version. 9mm 1911's can be fun, but they're also often problematic. Vetted magazines? What does that mean? Buy the gun not the story and the story on 9mm 1911's involves a distinctly finicky nature with the magazines. I've seen plenty that run fine with ball ammo, but I've never seen one that was reliable enough with HP's to consider using it as a carry piece if that's a consideration, not ever. For your first 1911 I think the .45 alternative is the better option as it's far more likely to be free of issues. I also have an RO in .45acp that I use in competition. It's the most accurate factory 1911 I've ever owned and has been trouble free for ten thousand rounds thus far. I consider it possibly "the" best buy in production 1911's right now.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I love .45 1911s and can't imagine not owning one. With that said I have a 9 RO that I reviewed http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...e-Officer-9x19. I use it for practice. It's a good gun for the money but it took some work to get right.

If I were trading an ar I would have expected both the .45 and 9. Neither is worth more than $500.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List