Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried to 'thin' their HD Trijicon front sight??

Thanks guys. I feel like I'm learning to shoot all over again with these sights. My close up speed improved immediately, but I'm really struggling to get a good method of consistency across all distances and targets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

So, kind of. I have thinned several Trijicon front sights over the years. Most are .135 to .145 which is way to wide for my liking. I normally do it with a safe edge file and take my time. Measuring often to make sure I take the same amount from both sides. You also have to be very careful of putting a taper on the sight. You can end up with thinner at the top, bottom, front or back. What you don't want it thicker in the back and top, that is the worst.

On my P30s I have been very happy with the 10-8 rear sight and the Dawson Night front. The Dawson front is only .125 and that is a good compromise and as thin as Trijicon with put an insert into. I paint the white ring on the sight orange and it is the same concept of the HD sights.

Hope this helps.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Very helpful. Now, how many sights can you put on a gun before you start to have problems with the slide? I shoot P30s exclusively.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Very helpful. Now, how many sights can you put on a gun before you start to have problems with the slide? I shoot P30s exclusively.
    Only one will fit at a time. You really need to take a basic pistol class.

Ask a stupidly phrased question.....I've heard that you can damage the slide over time if you're changing sights too much. Is that on a high point? Is that Internet lore? Is that gunsmith lore? S'mores lore?

Last edited by BaiHu; 03-03-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Having spent an hour-plus this weekend patiently thinning the base of the carbon-steel Dawson sight so that it would go into the hardened steel dovetail of the P30... If you use gorilla tactics to pound +.010 oversize sights into the dovetail, yes, you're going to have a bad time.

If, on the other hand, you take care and properly fit each new front sight, I doubt you'll have issues unless you're using it as some kind of sight-fitting test bed. I rubbed the Dawson sight on a piece of 400-grit sandpaper taped to a granite surface block to reduce the height of the sight base until it fit, taking it down a thousandth or two each time. When I got close I used a small, fine file to just barely knock the finish off the front dovetail surface of the sight, at which point I could tap it into place.

Note that the Dawson fronts do come oversized and you have to spend a bit of time fitting them. A sheet of good-quality 400 sandpaper taped to a piece of glass is really all you need.

ETA: Having a decent pair of digital calipers is pretty much required. A digital micrometer is incredibly helpful for determining if you're keeping the planes of the sight base parallel while you're thinning it to fit. Note that I am not a fan of doing significant filing on the front or rear dovetail mating surface of the sight as it is practically guaranteed that you'll change the angle when doing so.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I used a safety file to thin the blade on one of mine before. Just clamp the slide in a vise with wood blocks and take your time. The smooth side of the safety file goes against the top of the slide (covered in tape)...won't take too many strokes to get it done. The a little cold blue on a q-tip to touch up the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Having spent an hour-plus this weekend patiently thinning the base of the carbon-steel Dawson sight so that it would go into the hardened steel dovetail of the P30... If you use gorilla tactics to pound +.010 oversize sights into the dovetail, yes, you're going to have a bad time.

If, on the other hand, you take care and properly fit each new front sight, I doubt you'll have issues unless you're using it as some kind of sight-fitting test bed. I rubbed the Dawson sight on a piece of 400-grit sandpaper taped to a granite surface block to reduce the height of the sight base until it fit, taking it down a thousandth or two each time. When I got close I used a small, fine file to just barely knock the finish off the front dovetail surface of the sight, at which point I could tap it into place.

Note that the Dawson fronts do come oversized and you have to spend a bit of time fitting them. A sheet of good-quality 400 sandpaper taped to a piece of glass is really all you need.

ETA: Having a decent pair of digital calipers is pretty much required. A digital micrometer is incredibly helpful for determining if you're keeping the planes of the sight base parallel while you're thinning it to fit. Note that I am not a fan of doing significant filing on the front or rear dovetail mating surface of the sight as it is practically guaranteed that you'll change the angle when doing so.

^^^This^^^

You just saved me from typing pretty much exactly that. One of the 10-8 RS tapped right in. The other not so much. Both Dawson fronts needed material removed from all sides. After dealing with the hassles of a cracked slide from a 'smiff, I decided to handle it myself. FWIW I clamp the slide from the top, making sure to support from the inside with shims. I guess I are a 'smiff now.....
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    ^^^This^^^

You just saved me from typing pretty much exactly that. One of the 10-8 RS tapped right in. The other not so much. Both Dawson fronts needed material removed from all sides. After dealing with the hassles of a cracked slide from a 'smiff, I decided to handle it myself. FWIW I clamp the slide from the top, making sure to support from the inside with shims. I guess I are a 'smiff now.....
    After the fitting work required to get the front sight in (which would have taken all of 10 minutes if I had my own surface grinder, sigh) I was relieved to find that the 10-8 rear sight I received was not an oversized fit. Very relieved. (Metalworking pun intended.)
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I had a factory Sig front night sight thinned to ~.120 and I really like it. My concerns would be that portions of the large dot on the HD would be lost and that you'd have to worry about rust on the front sight as there's not good way to protect it with the tritium vial installed.

User Tag List