Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Has anyone ever tried to 'thin' their HD Trijicon front sight??

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    So what I do know is that Trijicon will not install a capsule into anything thinner than a .125" front sight. Or at least that is what they told me when I asked. I used to have an account with them when I ran LTT and sent many Beretta slides to Tool Tech to have inserts put in. (Thinning, squaring and serrating a front sight on a Beretta that has a fixed front sight does not leave much room for error, screw it up and you just bought a slide!) Something about a minimum amount of material that needs to be around the capsule so that they do not get in trouble with the guys that control radio active material. I wanted to put one in a .110" wide sight and they said NO!
    I think the TCAP front sight has a Trijicon tritium capsule and is .120 - so perhaps they've figured out a way to get that extra .005 in?

I'm a pretty dedicated Trijicon HD user (I own four sets of HD sights), but recently experimented with the TCAP due to the thin front sight. If Trijicon offered a thinner front sight, I'd be quick to upgrade. I'd welcome a plain rear sight with a wider notch as well.

I wonder if a .125 HD front sight would pair well with the various Warren rears...
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 03-04-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    I like your sights and your gun David. Good to see your still out there and shooting. Long time since we talked.
    Likewise.

It's a pleasure to read your posts again. I don't think I've learned from anybody else as much as I have from you and ToddG going all the way back to the Beretta-L days. I still have the knife, "Beretta-L 2001 21 of 75."

God bless,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Narrow the front to .125".
    Make the front a "stripe" like your bad photoshop.
    Leave the rear notch alone.
    Yellow rear tritium capsules.
    I'm with Jody on making the front sight have a hi-viz stripe! I'm having a friend who airbrushes RC vehicles do a vertical "racing stripe" (top to bottom) on a standard sight as a test for me. I'd love to see the thinnest sight blade legal for tritium (.115 - .125?) with a green tritium vial, a toxic (or zombie) green stripe with the silicon rubber cushion color matched to the vertical stripe which is as wide as the silicon cushion diameter. Ditch or shrink the rubber cushion if needed.

My theory (we'll see) being that a tiny sharp edge of black on either side of the stripe will give a very sharp contrast to help with front sight focus. Even a .01" black line on either side of the racing stripe should be enough to give some kind of visual focal point for sharp front sight focus.

Yellow rears are my preference. Ideally make the rear lamps a smaller diameter than the full size front to help with differentiation. If they're the same diameter as the front they appear larger because the front sight is further from the eye.

ETA - I like Ernest's suggestion of a serrated front sight to help with front focus and Philpac's suggestion of mounting the tritium vials as high as possible to reduce the POI change when using the dots vs. the top of the sight.

Here's my take on "zombie green".
    Last edited by Lomshek; 03-10-2014 at 09:36 PM.

User Tag List