Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Long Guns Question

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Indeed. Followed by legal protection from prosecution, followed by protection against civil retribution. Lengthy prison time and/or having all of your assets seized, destroys not only the individual but their family as well. I've worked a few of those cases to. I can tell you that juries, especially in this day and age in contested states will use image, and conduct during defense in their deliberations. In other words, it is important to keep the right image in addition to adequate firepower. Image varies from county to county.
    ^This^

And it's one reason why my first line long gun at home will likely be my shotgun, if I use a long gun at all, depends on the scenario.

^ Right, that's kind of where I'm coming from.

...you'll "survive" if you armor your walls and doors and emplace Claymores everywhere. You will F'ing win, no doubt. But then you'll have to deal with the aftermath.

So: just because something may be the *optimal tool* for the job at hand, does not necessarily make it the wisest choice. Is a suppressed mk18 with an optical sight and visible laser loaded with 10mm explosive tipped caseless the most lethal manstopper you can pack in a HD situation? Yep. Is that what you should use? Eh...

Definitely possibly maybe.

I am not a "good shoot is a good shoot" guy. EVERYTHING will be looked at if something happens. I'm not saying be afraid to act or be afraid to fight. I am saying that if you go in front of a jury it's going to be all about "reasonable" people assessing whether or not you acted "reasonably".

The other issue I think about is that said gun will be in evidence, in a fatal shooting that will be for awhile.

Now, if dead bad guy has friends, say in his gang set, and they are now mad at me, which of my long guns choices would I prefer to still have at home?

Going to the AR in such a follow-up situation would make sense to even a jury of 100% grandmothers.

My thoughts on this are not entirely academic in nature.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The other issue I think about is that said gun will be in evidence, in a fatal shooting that will be for awhile.
    This may have been answered before in the "evidence locker thread" - but would you be able to purchase a new firearm during that time (assuming every dime you had wasn't going to bail and lawyers)?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    This may have been answered before in the "evidence locker thread" - but would you be able to purchase a new firearm during that time (assuming every dime you had wasn't going to bail and lawyers)?
    This is obviously state law dependent, but under federal law you can still receive a firearm unless you are under indictment for a "crime punishable by more than one year" (informations count too).

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

Should be able to, if you haven't been indicted ref the case

What a shame that we have to be worried about prosecution based on weapon type. It reminded me of Marcus Luttrell's book, Lone Survivor. He and members of the team debated about killing three shepherds that had stumbled onto them. Obvious Taliban sympathizers, but they decided to let them go. Soon they were battling several hundred Taliban. Three team members lost and an entire helicopter full of America's best perished.

Fear of the liberal media and malicious prosecution led to a bad decision; one that resulted in the unnecessary death of a lot of good guys. Either way, that team knew they were screwed. Being shot at by the enemy or having the truth twisted at home by the enemy in the media and the courtroom.

We are in the same position when faced with a shoot situation. We are screwed; it is just a matter of degree. Choose wisely.

There were potentially a lot of other choices that could have been made in that situation.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    ^This^

And it's one reason why my first line long gun at home will likely be my shotgun, if I use a long gun at all, depends on the scenario.
    Same for me. I have a few NFA items, but they mostly get safe duty. Other than a regular service pistol, the most image conscious long gun is going to be a sporting style shotgun. My 870 gets primary home defense duty. If ranges are longer than what buckshot is capable of, then I better make damn sure deadly force is still justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Same for me. I have a few NFA items, but they mostly get safe duty. Other than a regular service pistol, the most image conscious long gun is going to be a sporting style shotgun. My 870 gets primary home defense duty. If ranges are longer than what buckshot is capable of, then I better make damn sure deadly force is still justified.
    When I bought my current shotgun, I had a choice between black vs. hydro-dip forest camo on stock/forearm furniture. I will freely admit that I picked the forest camo for image-management considerations in case of defensive use, rather than any hope that a bit of camo on the stock would keep a coyote from spotting me too soon.

The lights and sights on this particular shotgun are also ideally suited to coyote elimination... but as a side benefit are exceptionally useful in other situations.

I figure if the AR comes out of the safe it's a sufficiently hairy situation (e.g. post-9.0-earthquake looting/predation) that I won't care *quite* as much about whether it looks scary, to put it mildly.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

User Tag List