Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First pistol - cleaning/lube question

Quote Originally Posted by staunen2 View Post
    This is great info - thanks to all. Also, I took an NRA basic pistol course before getting my permit last fall, but am planning to take another (better) class after getting my new pistol.
    I've got a right hand 2022 OWB holster that you can have, gratis, if you like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Am I the only one shocked that someone came onto Todd Greens forum for advice on cleaning a gun

Haaahaahaahaaahaaahaaaahaaha..............Ha!

No. You are not.

That'd be great, thanks very much. Patience with rookie questions, solid info, and free stuff - I definitely joined the right community. I'll contact you through PM to arrange the particulars.

Congrats and enjoy. You sound like you're on the right track. Welcome to the party and happy and safe shooting to you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Not to get into the "Ultimate Lube" debate, but there is a difference in premium type lubes compared to Remoil or Breakfree as I do not like how thin and runny those products are and not exactly a great lube IMO. Not to mention that there are products that are non-toxic if you're into that sort of thing.

I use Weapon Shield CLP which is non-toxic, lubricates fantastically (everything slides nicely), has a slight cinnamon scent and it resists carbon and gun powder from sticking in the first place so it's easy to clean.
    What I use when I clean is Weapon Shield CLP, Baby Wipes, a bore snake, Q-tips and a brush. When I shoot my carry gun I try and clean it before I leave if possible so I field strip it, wipe down with a baby wipe, Q-tip the groove in the slide that the rail slides in, use the bore snake, pull out the striker and Q-tip the inside, lube recommended areas and assemble which takes 5-10 minutes if I'm not rushing.

Link to Weapon Shield CLP
    http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...on-shield.html

Corrosion testing of various lubes http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....5-08-12)/page5

Weapon Shield is great. The downside is you have to order it, and so I don't normally recommend it for folks that are new to firearms, or who don't want to get into the latest and greatest. Something cheap and easy to find leaves more money and time for ammo and training.

Break-Free CLP in it's current formulation is non-toxic, and an effective product that is safe for all finishes and plastics.

Rem-Oil is non-toxic, and is actually TFL-50 (Dupont formula VZ704), a mil-spec thin film lubricant use in the aerospace and industrial fields. Some folks think it evaporates, but actually that is just the carrier. The lubricant remains behind, and does a very good job at a very wide range of temperatures. Lubricants don't need to be thick, or even visible for that matter, to be effective. Rem-Oil is great for hard to reach areas, or parts that are difficult or inconvenient to disassemble, like the frame and slide of a Sig SP2022. Rem-Oil is also available in an easy to use aerosol , and will not cause problems from overapplication (too much can just be wiped off the reassembled pistol after the carrier evaporates). It is safe for use on plastics, and does a good job of cleaning and preventing rust as well.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-02-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by staunen2 View Post
    ...Patience with rookie questions, solid info, and free stuff - I definitely joined the right community...
    I do or have belonged to several gun fora, this is the best.
    Where are you located? Members may be able to help you find a range to shoot.train at locally.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'm in Fairfield County, CT and am happy to take recommendations.

I am also in that area, am happy to help you get started if you want am an NRA instructor as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

User Tag List