Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Democrats at it again, Backroom deal in place for a 10 Round Magazine limit.

NJ Democrats at it again, Backroom deal in place for a 10 Round Magazine limit.

This first hit my Facebook feed Saturday AM.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...l#incart_river

This is being seen as Senate President Sweeny's opening bid to replace Christy as Governor when he runs for President in 2 years.

Both these bills were on the table last year and neither were put up for a vote.

The 10 round bill is self explanatory. With regards to the transportation bill it needs a little explanation. While the article refers to "Reasonable" deviations the actual language in the statue is "Necessary". When the state firearms statues were rewritten in the early 80's "Necessary" was meant to mean that you couldn't put your gat in the trunk and go out and do your errands. It wasn't supposed to prevent you from stopping to pick up a shooting partner, meal breaks, coffee breaks, restroom breaks, etc. Over the year prosecutors have morphed it in to "NO" stops period. Last years bill was pretty broad and a welcome clarification back to the original intent of the 1980 statute & supported by NJ's gun owners. While I have yet to see the official language of the new bill, from the article it has been curtained.

My stance is;
    One I don't support any further magazine limits, especially since NJ's history is to outright ban and not grandfather all ready owed property. The best we will see is a period of time to get rid of our property before it becomes illegal.

Two if the transportation bill has been curtailed only to those instances listed in the article I can't support even if it wasn't attached to a magazine limit deal. Right now we can still argue what "Necessary" means; once the new language becomes law it's cut and dried.

Sweeny is reportedly set to officially announce this "Deal" today.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 02-24-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Given Christies ambitions, why would he not veto the 10 round garbage immediately?

because he's screwed for the nomination. bridgegate is turning against him, and the MSM is making massive political hay out of it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I call political BS wrangling just to get Christie to feel trapped. We (I'm in NJ) already have some of the strictest gun laws in the US. We already have stricter gun laws than CT, which is what this hoopla is about. We already have no money in NJ, so how will they enforce it. Christie was never as good as the liberal media made him out to be. Christie was always conservative "lite" at best. Christie only has up to go from here, so if he pulls this Crap, he'll lose his chance to be anything politically within his party and any good he did for NJ will be covered by bridge gate for the libs and 10 rd mags for the conservatives.

Plus the article I read even says "10 rds won't really affect the law abiding gun owner". Well sh*t. If it ain't affecting law abiding gun owners, why would it affect a criminal?

Political. Theater.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

IF Christie really wanted to make nice with gun owners in this state all he really needs to do is have the Attorney General the head Law Enforcement official issue a clarification of what "Necessary" is to include what was in the original transportation bill. Right now it is left open for each prosecutor to interpret as they wish. We are slowly building case law favoring the strict interpretation. I mean really, do we have to define a bathroom break as necessary? OYYYY
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I think that Christie will continue to "reach for the middle" in this case. I'd love to be proven wrong.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    because he's screwed for the nomination. bridgegate is turning against him, and the MSM is making massive political hay out of it.
    Yeah, I was never able to figure that one out. The Media Hive Mind was clearly grooming him as the guy they wanted to take a fall in the ninth against Hillary, and then they suddenly turned on him like a Shark Week feeding frenzy. Did they suddenly get worried he might win or something, once he started losing weight?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    IF Christie really wanted to make nice with gun owners in this state all he really needs to do is have the Attorney General the head Law Enforcement official issue a clarification of what "Necessary" is to include what was in the original transportation bill. Right now it is left open for each prosecutor to interpret as they wish. We are slowly building case law favoring the strict interpretation. I mean really, do we have to define a bathroom break as necessary? OYYYY
    Wouldn't that approach create a problem when the administration changes hands? Once an anti takes office again in NJ, they'd just order another "clarification" saying anytime the vehicle stops for something besides traffic signals it would be considered an "unnecessary" stop. Say hello to Square One.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yeah, I was never able to figure that one out. The Media Hive Mind was clearly grooming him as the guy they wanted to take a fall in the ninth against Hillary, and then they suddenly turned on him like a Shark Week feeding frenzy. Did they suddenly get worried he might win or something, once he started losing weight?
    Scandal + Conservative = automatic news story.
    I thought everyone knew the Journalistic math?

Meanwhile, a French story reporting an affair between Obama and (married) singer Beyonce was quietly squashed by the US media.

I'm not saying that an Attorney General clarification would be the best solution. But given the current makeup of the State House it is the best we can hope for currently. State courts have not been favorable to us gun owners. We are really hoping the Scotus takes up our case.

If Christy wants the gun owners support this would go a long way towards getting it. Unfortunately his record on gun control is spotty at best. What ever he does pro-gun would be politically motivated for the national stage not for ideological reasons. As I expressed to another member here Christy is just what NJ needed to get the financial situation started in the correct direction (bull in the china shop). I would not support him for national office without him showing us a lot more, as of now I don't think what he's shown of his personality would work at the national level, especially on the international stage.
    Scott

User Tag List