Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Pictures.

Fantastic pictures!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Blue gun fun ! SIG P-229R DAKs converted to dedicated SIMs guns by our agency armory. They do a nice powder coat finish.

The "donors" are service guns which have exceeded their 10k round service life or otherwise had issues.
    Ahhh, now in understand. At first I thought those guns turned blue because nobody shot them for a while...

All joking aside, 10k seems like a short service life. Am I missing something?
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Hesitate to post this fuzzy, uh, slightly sepia-toned photo after seeing jpeto's professional shots...but this is my current SIG lineup. All work good, shoot good.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Ahhh, now in understand. At first I thought those guns turned blue because nobody shot them for a while...

All joking aside, 10k seems like a short service life. Am I missing something?
    SIG makes factory blue sims guns as well as red non firing training guns but all ours are conversions by our armorers. They are hard to come by but our guys do a great job on them and they are great training tools.

Re: the 10k service life, yes, basically this was due to hot 155 grain ammo and no PM though this has changed for the better and the 10k thing may go away.

Our prior Beretta and HK 40 cal service pistols were selected.based on a 10k round service life. Our guys shoot quarterly with and an average round count of 800 -1k per year. As a large organization spread across the country, PM like recoil spring changes was hit of miss / locally dependent. On a positive note, we were required to keep log books on each weapon and kept track of the round count and any maintenance or repairs performed. If you hit 10k rounds, you turned in the gun for a replacement and it was sent into our national armory.

In addition to the lack of PM, we were shooting a very hot 155 grain . 40 cal load which was hard on the guns and shooters.

When we went to the SIGs, the log book requirement went away though we were still told to turn in weapons after 10k rounds and we were still using the hot 155 grain ammo. I've kept a log on my own SIG, replaced my recoil springs at the factory recommended 3-5k intervals and replaced them for others as much as possible.

We finally went to 180 grain Federal HST a few years ago which has helped. About the same time we switched ammo we starred having a bunch of broken take down levers, which I believe is a legacy of the 155 grain ammo and waiting too long to swap recoil springs.

Beginning last year, we finally replaced the recoil springs in all of our SIGs. Since we haven't been keeping round counts, they color coded the springs. They are lime green instead of the blue SIG normally uses on P229 40 springs. So lime green will mean the spring was changed in 2013/14 and we will get new springs with a new color in a few years.

I recently fired 200 rounds of our old 155 grain ammo through my personal USPc and my hand was killing me. I had forgotten how hot our 155 grain was, or I'm getting old - ok both !
    Last edited by HCM; 08-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.

These factory red and blue SIGs are LE only?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

We finally went to 180 grain Federal HST a few years ago which has helped. About the same time we switched ammo we starred having a bunch of broken take down levers, which I believe is a legacy of the 155 grain ammo and waiting too long to swap recoil springs.
    That is an interesting data point. I thought that broken takedown levers were endemic to P220's. I've always heard they start breaking around 15,000 and are gone by 25,000. I did not know that it happened in P229's. It does confirm my theory that the more energy you put downrange, the more energy you put into the takedown lever - and it can only take so much.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    These factory red and blue SIGs are LE only?
    They are only in the LE catalog. Page 24.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsC...Catalog-lr.pdf

I've seen them at GT Distributors in Austin. They're avail in P226, P250 and SP 2022 models.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    That is an interesting data point. I thought that broken takedown levers were endemic to P220's. I've always heard they start breaking around 15,000 and are gone by 25,000. I did not know that it happened in P229's. It does confirm my theory that the more energy you put downrange, the more energy you put into the takedown lever - and it can only take so much.
    Yes, I've seen few break on the P-229s, between 10 and 20 out of 600 ish guns. When they break, the gun still functions. The lever normally breaks free from the "drum" portion which sits in the frame, allowing the lever to rotate and precluding re holstering or field stripping the gun.

SIG recommends recoil spring replacement every 3-5k on the 40& 357 guns. Our guns are mostly 2005 / 2006 production so even with the hot 155 ammo, we didn't start seeing breakages until 7k to 8 k rounds.

I've only seen one break since we swapped out all the recoil springs.

Yes, I've seen few break on the P-229s, between 10 and 20 out of 600 ish guns. When they break, the gun still functions. The lever normally breaks free from the "drum" portion which sits in the frame, allowing the lever to rotate and precluding re holstering or field stripping the gun.
    Ahh. That is a different problem than what really concerns me. The separation of the arm from the drum is not a game ender except in some really odd circumstances. Sig turned out a bunch of guns with bad levers. They are supposed to be welded and riveted and one of their subcontractors only riveted them.

When one fails in a P220, it fractures in the middle of the lever. My first happened in the middle of a match. The gun failed to fire so I tapped-racked-clicked. I tap-racked again and the slide launched down range, leaving me with a frame and looking at the round in the top of the magazine. It was not confidence inspiring.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List