Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Who has a defense attorney already picked out?

Thanks gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    While Mas is particularly know for the legal aspects of his training, he is not a practicing atty at all and has a relatively narrow law enforcement experience set relative to many police officers/agents. From my very limited training with him personally (4 hr block, Tactical Conf, Tulsa 09 or 10), coupled with my reading of his many articles over many years, I would assert that much of his general advice is a good starting point but may be completely off base in your neck of the woods. At the expense of being accused of trying to gin up business for lawyers, it is imperative you talk to a experienced person from your area re your rights/responsibilities/liabilities should you become involved in a shooting.

On of Mas' gems I see trotted out constantly is- "I will sign the complaint."

The thing is, in many jurisdictions, the victim NEVER signs a criminal complaint EVER.
    You, as the victim, may ultimately sign your statement, a miranda waiver, a consent to search form, perhaps even an affidavit, a request for reimburshment from a crime victim compensation fund, but NEVER a complaint.
    Pertaining to Ayoob, I thought this was rather interesting, and pertains to the accuracy of various statements and assertions he's made.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Pertaining to Ayoob, I thought this was rather interesting, and pertains to the accuracy of various statements and assertions he's made.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What's wrong with "I was terrified he/she was going to kill me/mine. I want my lawyer" ? I mean, aren't you expected to say SOMETHING on the scene to explain the blood and casings and body?

Texas law shield

I have a defense attorney here in Austin, I have a family attorney in Chicago and will be looking for a defense attorney there.

Vis-a-vis giving a statement to police/investigators: Following my father's self-defense incident, I learned to call your attorney quickly and provide a minimal statement to police. I understand that involving an attorney might be "adversarial" and make you look "guilty", but whatever. I'll be happy to cooperate fully with my legal counsel present, but I want them present. I have learned over the years nothing can replace a good adviser during a stressful situation. Don't get me wrong, call 911 and ask for the police yourself. When they arrive, make a very minimal statement explaining the gross details of the situation, and say you will provide a full and detailed statement when you have legal counsel present.

-Rob

Having worked with a number of attorneys over the years I have a line-up that I will go to. Regarding Ayoob vs. Dodson, I know which one I'd want on my side as an expert witness....and his initials are not S.D. YMMV.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Since it was brought up - Has Dodson ever served as an expert witness and/or has he ever been qualified to provide expert witness testimony in a court of law?

-Rob

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Having worked with a number of attorneys over the years I have a line-up that I will go to. Regarding Ayoob vs. Dodson, I know which one I'd want on my side as an expert witness....and his initials are not S.D. YMMV.
    I am in absolute agreement with David's post.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm not a lawyer and do not play on on the internet or TV.

But I do have a pre arranged defense council.
    I also will note the FBI and most other Federal LE entities do not require agents to give statements prior to 24hrs after the incident, and I will take all 24hrs of that if required

I have three plans
    A) nothing happens as result (other than buddy at local Sheriff offices goes for a beer with me)
    B) my attorney
    C) I sue the family, estate etc of the person I felt compelled to use a weapon against.

I'm not very concerned about the aspects of a lawsuit -- mainly as I have several friends etc that have been thru multiple CONUS shootings and they still walk, talk and work like before. I'm also very judicious with what I do and where I go, so IF I need to shoot someone CONUS I will be the guy in the white hat.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

User Tag List