Thread: Big thanks to Volund Gearworks

Site Supporter

Big thanks to Volund Gearworks

Just wanted to say thanks to Matt at Volund Gearworks. He made me a couple Atlas belts modified how I wanted then nd they've been perfect for AIWB carry. I ordered one of us cobra belts for OWB carry a couple weeks back and decided it would be perfect for me with a few small changes. After e-mailing him with my request, it took all of a couple hours for him to say "send it in with what you want done and I'll hook you up". Less than a week later I have a belt built exactly how I wanted it. Its a perfect fit. Matt covered the shipping on the new belt. There are some small shops out there doing good work but with horrible comms. My go to for belts is Volund, kydex is JM Custom,CCC, and DSG. These small shops put out outstanding quality gear and have great service!

We are diminished
    Can you tell us about what mods you thought made them better, especially as pertained to AIWB?

I continue to think a simple Wilderness belt gives me everything I could ask for but I'm definitely willing to be schooled, and Matt's stuff certainly seems to have earned a deserved reputation as has his company.

I like my 1.75" Altas belt /way/ more than my 1.75" reinforced Wilderness. Feels so much softer, distributes load better.

Not the best for AIWB. Want to know your mods.

Site Supporter
    As far as the Atlas for AIWB it wasn't much. The belt comes standard with 4 sewn in "hook points" for the g-hook to hook on to, giving you a good range of size adjustment. I found I only used the 3rd one in. Having all 4 creates 5 points where the material is thicker and stitched, I found that portion of the belt difficult to thread through my mag pouch so had them make me a couple with just the 3rd point in. I've used Wilderness Instructors/FF belts in the past and got a bad hotspot from offsetting the buckle. The Atlas is MUCH more comfortable for me. I still have plenty of adjustment with a completely flat profile. FWIW I start my belt at the 3 o'clockish belt loop, when I get to the front the tail goes through my holster and then the 1 o'clock loop. I feel having the tail captured (doubled up) just outside my holster also slightly aides in tucking the but of the gun. There's plenty of belts out there that work, this just works better for ME.

Attachment 2161

Shown with a G17 in JMCK. I'm 5'11", 160 with a 31" waist.
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 02-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.

We are diminished
    Thanks, U1F. So the trick would be figuring out which hook point(s) you do and don't need in advance?

Site Supporter
    I ordered one, quickly figured out I wanted something a little different and emailed Matt about making a new one the way I wanted it ( fully intending to buy another belt and sell the first, it was a couple days old), was told to send it back and received a new one. I use the JM version 2 mag pouches and its much easier to put on and remove with just the single point.

I don't work for Volund and have never met Matt, they just make a great product and treated me right.

I bet he can get orange webbing....
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I start my belt at the 3 o'clockish belt loop, when I get to the front the tail goes through my holster and then the 1 o'clock loop. I feel having the tail captured (doubled up) just outside my holster also slightly aides in tucking the but of the gun. There's plenty of belts out there that work, this just works better for ME.

Attachment 2161
    Trying to get my head around that photo....
    Are you a lefty? Is that a lefty version of the belt where the g hook is turned top to bottom?

I like the idea of catching the holster between the belt layers, but I'm having a hard time replicating your photo... I can get close, but only if I thread my belt so that the "g" opens towards the ceiling.... <headscratch> (I'm right handed)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Trying to get my head around that photo....
    Are you a lefty? Is that a lefty version of the belt where the g hook is turned top to bottom?

I like the idea of catching the holster between the belt layers, but I'm having a hard time replicating your photo... I can get close, but only if I thread my belt so that the "g" opens towards the ceiling.... <headscratch> (I'm right handed)
    Right handed, holster at 1 o'clock. I do switch the hook around so I can still come into the hook from the top.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Right handed, holster at 1 o'clock. I do switch the hook around so I can still come into the hook from the top.
    Got it... Thanks.
    Interesting idea... Will try it..
    Starting my belt through the 3:00 loop is totally unnatural for me... I'm a 9:00 guy. LOL.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List