Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Elite

Delta Elite

I'm looking for any insight/experience with this particular gun and the 10mm cartridge. I've always had an unhealthy, attraction for this gun and am seriously considering pulling the wallet trigger on this one. I'm not interested in the "short & weak" version of the 10 and I'd like to hear everyone's experience with issues or advantages that running a full house 10 in the 1911 platform bring and what brand magazines seem to work. Trying to figure out if there is any upside/downside to chasing this over just living with the .45 acp.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

I have a recent production Delta that I bought two months ago as a general outdoor-carry/conversation piece. I've been happy with it so far, but I have read that the Delta Elites occasionally run into trouble with very hot 10mm loads, due to the standard/non-ramped barrel resulting in less-than-desirable case support. Underwood Ammo has a disclaimer that some of their 10mm loadings shouldn't be used in the Delta: (see http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx). I've fired plenty of factory 10mm from Remington and Hornady and haven't seen any signs of over-pressure on the recovered brass, but I also don't plan on putting any of the particularly hot stuff through the pistol.

I know BLR has posted some pictures of a seriously sweet 10mm or two, so hopefully he'll be along to give us his thoughts.

I read an article where a gun writer had a 6" Delta built for hunting, it just sounds awesome. For a gun like that reloading is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I'm looking for any insight/experience with this particular gun and the 10mm cartridge. I've always had an unhealthy, attraction for this gun and am seriously considering pulling the wallet trigger on this one. I'm not interested in the "short & weak" version of the 10 and I'd like to hear everyone's experience with issues or advantages that running a full house 10 in the 1911 platform bring and what brand magazines seem to work. Trying to figure out if there is any upside/downside to chasing this over just living with the .45 acp.
    The key to 10mm happiness is a WC CQB-E with Tripp mags.

A close second is a NHC Predator w/ same mags.

Tripp mags and CQBs. That's my happy spot.

Are you looking for a 10 or 1911 in 10?

I really like my 1066/1076. A lot lower cost, available on Gunbroker, soft shooting, and feeds a wide range of ammo.

I am down to one 1911 in 10, a JoJo's tuned Delta that runs great. From the start, I have only used Tripp mags. Previously I had several Deltas that were iffy feeding, and became 100 percent once I went to Tripp mags.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you looking for a 10 or 1911 in 10?

I really like my 1066/1076. A lot lower cost, available on Gunbroker, soft shooting, and feeds a wide range of ammo.

I am down to one 1911 in 10, a JoJo's tuned Delta that runs great. From the start, I have only used Tripp mags. Previously I had several Deltas that were iffy feeding, and became 100 percent once I went to Tripp mags.
    Have you shot those Smiths for precision yet? I mean . . . slowly.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

All of my experience with the 10mm cartridge comes from the G20 (Gen 3 and Gen4) and G29. This is my go-to backpacking gun.

Most off the shelf 10mm loads are watered down to 40SW velocities. Hornady's line using the XTP bullet and the Winchester Silver Tip at 175 grains start to approach full power 10mm pressures. Historically, you had to look to boutique ammo companies for commercial grade full power loadings. However the new Federal Trophy Bonded Soft Point might be just what the doctor ordered for those wanting a factory full-power option from an established name.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/hunting...mm-ammunition/
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Jason Burton mentioned recently that he welds up the disconnector rail (by the firing pin plunger, or something), in Colt Deltas to strengthen a weak area. I'll try to look up his statement.

I have a Garthwaite built Delta, which doesn't get shot a whole lot, but carried often. There's no need to shoot out a delta. Practice with a standard 1911, shoot the Delta when appropriate. Just like if I were carrying a lightweight 1911, I'd be practicing with a steel framed copy

Found this statement by Don Williams regarding the delta slide:

Any Deltas that come into my shop for any significant work get converted to '70 Series, with repair of the disconnector cut in the slide, and filling of the plunger hole for the '80 Series plunger. These slides are commonly damaged due to the thin wall of the disconnector cut on the one side, and lack of any wall on the other side because of the plunger. You can help control your slide velocity somewhat by adding a firing pin stop with a very small radius at bottom, and switching to a 25# hammer spring in lieu of the stock 23# part. Repair of the disconnector cut in the slide and removal of the plunger gives the hammer 2 sides to ride on and aids longevity. Dave has also talked about reconfiguring the hammer to give a larger top area which will spread out the pressure on the slide minimizing wear.

what the problem looks like:

Does the Wilson CQB incorporate these 10mm specific mods?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List