Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dummy rounds?

Dummy rounds?

What are the best brand of "dummy" rounds to use (in 9mm, .380, & 38sp) and
    where is a good place to get them?

Thanks!

I have a bunch of the ST action dummy rounds. Can't remember where I got them but I know you can find them on google. They work well.

I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Do you know someone who reloads? I used to use purchased dummies, but now that I reload, I just make my own. They match the weight of real ammo (minus the powder and primer which is miniscule) and are way cheaper than buying them.

Thanks, Jar! That's a great idea! I know someone who might be able to do that for me.

I've used these:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...SAF_T_TRAINERS

I like them because they are cheap but the rims get chewed up if you use them alot. Has anyone tried the Magpul dummy rounds?

I have some of the A-zoom ones, but man they are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscoutg36 View Post
    I have some of the A-zoom ones, but man they are expensive.
    I Use A-zoom as well, they are a bit more expensive but my firing pin has been banging away at them for over a year. www.midwayusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post

I just those all the time and they work great. Don't buy the plastic dummy rounds. They get tore up form the extracotor pulling them out of the gun. AZoom works great!

I reload and have been experimenting with making my own snap caps/dummy rounds.

Steps I took to make a 40 S&W snap cap:

1. Sized and deprimed a brass case, then flared it for the bullet.

2. Seated a RNFMJ bullet and gave it a good crimp.

3. A customer of mine had this really tough material in sheet form, it feels like hard rubber but very tough, about 1/8" thick. He said what it was but I can't remember. I punched a "primer" out of it for the primer pocket. After several hundred strikes it does not look like it has changed at all. If it does wear I can just pull it out replace it.

Concerns so far-
    I need to figure out a better way to color the case so that I can easily tell the difference between a live round and a snap cap. So far a sharpie is doing the job but tends to wear off.

The bullet is going to seat itself a little deeper everytime I chamber it. My thought is to use some material like cornmeal to fill the airspace and prevent further seating. Still not bad for a 10 cent snap cap.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I've been using Tiptons in my 229 in .40 and they work fine.

I have some for my Para but they seem to be too long and always cause a jam while trying to eject. They just don't clear the ejection port and get stuck. I am going to try and trim them down a little bit and see if I can get them to work.

User Tag List