Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIWB Hardware Question

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    I carried a usp compact in 45 for a while, I think aiwb success would be easy with the amount of prep work you're willing to put in. I'm a big fan of the jrc and of course the sme. But I suggest you also try the jm custom kydex for pure concealment. I don't own one but it seems to be more or less the successor of the keeper, which is what I wear when I need to hide a g19 under daisy dukes and a wife beater.

All this is assuming you don't need to tuck. If so, the jrc is my favorite, closely followed by dark star gear. But I've not yet succeeded to be truly "invisible" with tucked aiwb.

I have no experience with the Beretta, sorry I can't compare them.

Thanks for posting, best of luck, and I hope you'll keep us updated on your results!
    This is helpful, thanks. I have been considering the JM as well or in addition to the JRC. I don't need to tuck. I do need to wear a suit sometimes (which involves jacket on and off throughout the day), but have a different system for that which works; though it involves a concession.

I have a similar body type to what you describe, and every bit of holster thickness matters, so a kydex AIWB holster with a wedge, such as a Shaggy or JM, can be kind of iffy for me, concealment-wise. For my body type, with those holsters, the slide of the gun has to ride right on the pelvic crease to decently conceal the thickness. That's farther from the centerline than I like, and tends to result in a printing battle between the length of the grip and the thickness of the holster.

I ordered a JRC AIWB-CDA II for my P30 about two months ago and should be receiving it soon, at which point I will post some initial impressions and comparisons between it and the Shaggy I am currently using. The thin-ness of the design, due to the offset belt loop, is what sold me on it; I'm hoping I'll be able to carry the pistol a bit closer to my centerline.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicToaster View Post
    I have a similar body type to what you describe, and every bit of holster thickness matters, so a kydex AIWB holster with a wedge, such as a Shaggy or JM, can be kind of iffy for me, concealment-wise. For my body type, with those holsters, the slide of the gun has to ride right on the pelvic crease to decently conceal the thickness. That's farther from the centerline than I like, and tends to result in a printing battle between the length of the grip and the thickness of the holster.

I ordered a JRC AIWB-CDA II for my P30 about two months ago and should be receiving it soon, at which point I will post some initial impressions and comparisons between it and the Shaggy I am currently using. The thin-ness of the design, due to the offset belt loop, is what sold me on it; I'm hoping I'll be able to carry the pistol a bit closer to my centerline.
    Sounds like we had similar thoughts on the matter. You're input on the thick points of the kydex models is something I suspect may be true for me, too. I'll probably give them all a shot in any event. I do have high hopes for the JRC, though. I lookforward to your review once you receive your aiwb-cda II.

Quote Originally Posted by P/V View Post
    Please forgive my verbosity. I perhaps erred on the side of over-clarity. Thank you in advance for your help.
    I found it highly amusing that you were worried about PF members judging you on AIWB, when this community is (IMHO) basically ground central for AIWB carry. At the very worst you might have gotten a gentle inquiry as to whether you were mentally prepared for managing AIWB-related hazards, and perhaps a caution that AIWB carry should generally be accompanied by possessing and knowing how to use modern tourniquets. (hint hint)

For what it's worth, I'm 6'2" and 190lb, have a bit of remaining belly padding that's not going away easily after a year-plus of Crossfit. I can comfortably conceal a USP full-size AIWB in a Blade-Tech Nano holster at 12:30 under a hoodie, fleece, or loose/heavy sweater. My new P30 (very similar in size to the USPc) is even easier to carry AIWB. When you find the right holster for you, it's very likely that you'll be able to carry a USPc or M9A1c with no problem at all.

With your build, I'd be most worried about raising your arms above your shoulders causing a problem. One way to address this is to begin habitually wearing a fleece jacket/pullover or vest any time you're in the office, making sure to pick one that has elastic or a drawstring to tighten up the bottom around your waist. I've found this to be extremely effective at maintaining cover without hanging ridiculously low the 99.9% of the time you aren't raising your arms, and I know more than a few folks who habitually wear outer garments like that in the office because it's just a comfort thing for them.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrevor View Post
    with your build, i'd be most worried about raising your arms above your shoulders causing a problem. One way to address this is to begin habitually wearing a fleece jacket/pullover or vest any time you're in the office, making sure to pick one that has elastic or a drawstring to tighten up the bottom around your waist.
    danger will robinson danger danger danger!

Name:  ripcord3.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  15.0 KB
    Name:  ripcord1.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  22.6 KB
    Name:  ripcord2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  ripcord4.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  16.6 KB

I will not allow any garment with these in class. You either find another jacket or slice the things off. I've had more than one student holster a gun to find one of these through the trigger guard. Luckily so far in every case it's been a gun with a manual safety, but that's purely luck.

The photos above are from an incident that caught a federal agent in the leg in 2012 during some Task Force training. I was not present but have the official report. Guy, reported quite squared away and well versed in firearms safety, simply holstered as he'd done a million times but got the tie-down in his trigger guard.

Yikes. Fair enough. My one fleece with a drawstring has it at the left hip, nowhere near any of my holsters, which I should have considered important. I can see why drawstrings, especially the toggle-type ones, would be a Very Bad Idea.

I still stand by the suggestion that having some form of elastic around the bottom hem of the outer garment is extremely useful in reducing the chances of it rising above the belt. Minus the whole "stuff that can get caught in the trigger guard" part.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    I still stand by the suggestion that having some form of elastic around the bottom hem of the outer garment is extremely useful in reducing the chances of it rising above the belt. Minus the whole "stuff that can get caught in the trigger guard" part.
    That's very body dependent. If I wear something tight around the bottom, I look like a vacuum-wrapped beach ball and my gun prints like crazy. And even if it does fit you better, it creates the exact opposite tension than what I want for a fast draw. I'd prefer to get something a little longer than a little tighter.

And yeah, I know. Phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That's very body dependent. If I wear something tight around the bottom, I look like a vacuum-wrapped beach ball and my gun prints like crazy. And even if it does fit you better, it creates the exact opposite tension than what I want for a fast draw. I'd prefer to get something a little longer than a little tighter.

And yeah, I know. Phrasing.
    Name:  waitasecond.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  25.6 KB

Helpful exchange. Thanks to you both. I can't wear an over-garment anyway, unless it's a sport coat. Even then I'd have to remove it periodically.

It's always a good reality check for me to hear of someone well versed in firearms safety who nonetheless experienced an ND. These are the types of things that, for the purpose of aiwb, have me set on a manual safety on a pistol that's hammer-down, for now. I'll practice insuring the safety's position while at the same time riding the hammer while carefully reholstering while watching and angling the muzzle out, all after a hard break. I'm a true believer in redundant, yet reasonable and practical, mental and mechanical safety measures. The above pictures reinforce that belief. And of course the the above photos show one need be especially thoughtful about clothing for reasons beyond concealability, an easy thing to forget or overlook if you don't have a professional trainer's ongoing and varied experience, which I don't. Good looking out. Thanks again for the exchange gentlemen.

I am sorry for the man who took the round; I hope he made a full recovery.
    Last edited by P/V; 02-20-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: edited for misspelling/grammar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    My new P30 (very similar in size to the USPc) is even easier to carry AIWB. When you find the right holster for you, it's very likely that you'll be able to carry a USPc or M9A1c with no problem at all.
    Thanks for this feedback. Right on point for my initial question.

So, how near to the USPc's size is the P30?

I've never had them both side-by-side; but was under the impression that the P30 was larger in some dimensions. Thanks again.

User Tag List