Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB Hardware Question

AIWB Hardware Question

(Note: This is an excellent forum, and pistol-training.com is one of my favorite sites both for information and pleasure. Thank you to all who maintain and contribute. It's good community service.)

I’ve often perused this forum for information, guidance, or just pleasure reading. I’ve never posed a question because I’ve always been able to find suitable data by reading through the various threads on this forum (and others) or by consulting a friend or colleague.

Now, however, I do have a question that is specific enough to my personal circumstances that I have not been able to find a thread directly on point—although I have read various posts that come close—and have no friends or colleagues with actual experience on the matter.

A bit of background:

I intend to have a go at AIWB carry. AIWB never interested me in the past because I have a carry system that works well for me and that I’ve diligently trained with. In about four-to-six months, however, I’m going to start working in an environment where it’s imperative that my armed state remain private. The issue is not legality or policy; it’s a matter of perception/career. I have carried in low profile situations before without issue and, in any event, consider the ‘concealed’ part of ‘concealed carry’ of great import regardless of the circumstances. The difference now is that I will have clothing and appearance restrictions that leave AIWB as my only option for carrying a moderately compact or full-sized duty weapon with the utmost discretion.

I have read the entire “AIWB (Appendix Carry)” thread and the “AIWB holsters, a pictorial guide” thread (as well as many other threads). I’ve also read blog posts on point by Mr. Green in pistol-training.com’s archives. I am grateful for the information.

After much consideration, I’ve decided that I would prefer to use a pistol that is DA/SA and has a manual safety/decocker. In our present day, that leaves me few options. I’ve decided on either the HK USP Compact V1 or the Beretta M9A1 Compact.

I have a good understanding of the interworkings of the various striker-fired designs, DA/SA Decocker only designs, 1911s, other SA designs, LEMs, DAKs, etc. I do not consider it unsafe or unwise for a well-trained and careful person to carry such designs AIWB.

In point of fact, my present primary personal carry weapon is a Glock and has been for years. Like many, I’m a Glock certified armorer. I have a large stable of Glocks and spare Glock parts. I’m also mechanically inclined and have an armorer’s understanding and ability with many other designs. I also own many other designs. I have also carried a 1911 regularly and other SA only designs.

I’ve had formal pistol training and continue to train diligently and regularly. During one of my Grad School programs, I was employed part-time in a field that required plain-clothes concealed carry, training, and travel. I have also competed; though as of late my professional responsibilities have not allowed it.

All that just to say, gently and respectfully, that I’m not seeking, nor do I presently require, counsel on handgun design, safety, training, etc. I am certainly not an expert in design, safety, training, carry, etc.; I am, however, a well-informed generalist with a practitioner’s understanding. I’m careful, deliberate, and responsible. I will not train live AIWB until I’ve borne countless dry training exercises with my chosen weapon. I will then not carry live until I’ve engage in extensive live fire training with my chosen weapon. In short, I will not carry AIWB until my muscle has the proper memory and, despite such muscle memory, my mind refuses to rely on muscle memory insofar as it’s able (i.e., practiced mental awareness). I understand and will employ Mr. Green’s excellent direction on hard breaking, angling the holster out, looking while reholstering, etc. If I’m ever in the same city as an AIWB workshop taught by a reputable instructor, I will take it. Even considering all of the above, I nonetheless, rationally or irrationally, have decided that I want every possible layer of negligent discharge safety that I can possibly have while employing the AIWB carry method. For me, that means all springs at rest, redundant passive safeties, and a manual-safety-decocker.

This is just my personal decision for my personal carry, not a generalized and universally applicable opinion or declaration, and does not reflect a judgment on any other person’s choice.

So, I politely ask that, if you would be so kind, responses refrain from sayings, aphorisms, anecdotes, etc., to the effect that I should have the same concerns no matter where I carry—AIWB or otherwise, or that I have no understanding of how a certain design is equally safe AIWB as my chosen design, or that proper training is the only hedge against AIWB ND, etc. Friends, I have considered this all.

What I seek is counsel on a narrow issue: Does anyone on the forum have experience with the M9A1 Compact and/or the USP Compact in AIWB? My main concern is concealability. I understand that personal body type is likely the largest factor, and you are limited in your ability to give accurate advice since you do not personally know me (see below for body-type description). However, if someone has experience with both pistols and can relate their experience I would be grateful. Otherwise, if anyone has any helpful insight into the pros and cons of each pistol for AIWB, that would be welcome.

I’m concerned about the grip width of the M9A1 Compact vs the USP Compact. The M9A1, I believe, is over 1.3" while the USP Compact is 1.17". Typically, grip width is a significant factor for me when carrying at 3:30-4:30, but perhaps there’s a nuance of AIWB that makes grip width less of a concern and I am not aware of it. Height is also a concern. Overall height of the M9A1 Compact is 5.25” vs the USP Compact’s 5.00” (reported by the respective manufacturers), but often tech specs don’t work out in actuality as one would expect.

I am not concerned with which pistol is the better duty weapon. I know many dislike the Beretta 92 series pistols for various reasons, anecdotal and otherwise, but I have sufficient time behind each platform that I’ve come to my own conclusions on the relative merits and performance of each. That said, I do not presently own and have never concealed-carried a Beretta 92 or a USP.

My only concern between these pistols is their concealability in AIWB.

I am open to, however, any suggestions one may have on other DA/SA designs with a manual safety that I perhaps have not considered. There aren't many left in the market as the design simply isn’t popular anymore. I don’t exactly love the platform myself either. I’m choosing to employ the DA/SA-manual-safety platform as a concession to my extremely high concern for AIWB safety.

As to my working and physical circumstances: I will be wearing somewhat fitted button-down shirts or semi-fitted polo shirts, untucked, with a 1.5” wilderness tactical belt w/polymer insert. I weight 185 and am 5’11” tall. I am not chiseled nor am I out of shape. I do not have a barrel chest. I’m not skinny nor overly large. From my chest down to my waist is a relatively straight drop. My pants tend to sit just below my waistline due to body type. I need to wear fitted pants, nothing baggy. I will work in my own office while sitting for much of the day. My door will usually be open and people will pop in unannounced often. Throughout part of the day I will work in close proximity to others. I will sit, stand, pick stuff up off the floor, make exaggerated arm motions, lift my arms above my head, twist at the torso, etc. Sometimes I will need to speak in front of large groups of people without the benefit of a warning. Often I will have to unholster privately and quickly (car or office) if going into a secure, non-permissive location.

For my holster, I'm planning to first try JRC's AIWB-CDA II. I'm hoping it will have a good balance of AIWB variables as I understand such variables from my research (butt/grip tuck, strength, adjustability, thinness, etc.). I had initially hoped to get 5 Shot's SME or Garrity's In-Victus but neither of those would be ready in time. I will also purchase a holster from a maker with a very short lead time so I can start training early.

Please forgive my verbosity. I perhaps erred on the side of over-clarity. Thank you in advance for your help.

(PS: If anyone wishes to take issue with my holster choice and advance their own suggestion, please do. Or if anyone has personal experience with JRC's AIWB CDA II, please relate your experience. Thank you again.)
    Last edited by P/V; 02-19-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: edited to correct spelling/grammar

The JRC AIWB CDA is an excellent choice. He made me one for my 1911 3 inch and for my body, it tucks in better than the SME and In-Victus that I owned. I sold them and wear the JRC.
    He added an adjustable cant and a little more pad and, it stays hidden. I just ordered his dual mag holder and he is adapting it to IWB. What you want, he will build.
    You can't go wrong with that holster.

The majority of SME's that I have made are for full size guns...G17/22, USP, M&P, etc. The purpose of the AIWB is to allow you to conceal a full size gun...and any of the better models should allow you to conceal either of those pistols. One of the original designers/testers is 5'-6" or so and about 155 lbs and conceals a G22 or a 1911 SA Operator with no issues.

Try as many highly regarded holsters (in this forum) as your budget will allow. While they're all great quality, certain ones will fit your needs better than others. If you end up eating a $100-200 loss after trying out the creme de la creme of the AIWB world and selling ones that don't work, consider it an inevitability because you WILL end up trying a lot of them eventually. Looks like you're fluent in risk assessment. I hope financial risk is not an issue for you because this forum may tempt you well beyond your comfort zone.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

If I had a massive gun to conceal I would look to a 5Shot SME.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I carried a Beretta 92 Compact AIWB for about a year in a Raven ACR holster. This was *mostly* fine from a concealment standpoint, but not something I would be comfortable with in an NPE wearing a semi-fitted polo shirt around the same people (especially women) who saw me every day for months or years on end. If it would be disastrous to be "made" even once, then I would suggest a pistol with a much thinner and shorter grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I currently carry a full sized 92G or Elite II Berettas in an appendix position. I don't have too many issues, between good belts and holsters. I would've preferred a Compact, which I think would carry marvelously, but I insist on G/decocker only models and those are hard to get.
    I use JM Kydex and Shaggy. Biggest issue with Beretta is support, not every maker builds gear for it. For example, Shaggy is not listed for a compact.

Just one general observation. You mentioned fitted pants, nothing baggy. I personally cannot conceal double stack guns in pants that I consider fitted. I also find it relatively difficult to match fitted pants with closed-front top garments.

Typed at the same time with nalesq.

Quote Originally Posted by Swenson Bobcat View Post
    The JRC AIWB CDA is an excellent choice. He made me one for my 1911 3 inch and for my body, it tucks in better than the SME and In-Victus that I owned. I sold them and wear the JRC.
    He added an adjustable cant and a little more pad and, it stays hidden. I just ordered his dual mag holder and he is adapting it to IWB. What you want, he will build.
    You can't go wrong with that holster.
    Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear. I'll probably request one or two minor tweaks.
    I've yet to ask if he's set up for the USP Compact. It's not listed on his gunlist. Hopefully it's doable if I decide to go that route. I've already inquired about the M9A1 Compact. As a side note, he got back to me within two hours of initial my contact email.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    The majority of SME's that I have made are for full size guns...G17/22, USP, M&P, etc. The purpose of the AIWB is to allow you to conceal a full size gun...and any of the better models should allow you to conceal either of those pistols. One of the original designers/testers is 5'-6" or so and about 155 lbs and conceals a G22 or a 1911 SA Operator with no issues.
    Thank you. This is helpful. I'm happy 5 Shot is doing so well, but sad that I can't order until you catch up. If AIWB works for me, I'll probably place an order for the SME in the future, once able.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbj22 View Post
    Try as many highly regarded holsters (in this forum) as your budget will allow. While they're all great quality, certain ones will fit your needs better than others. If you end up eating a $100-200 loss after trying out the creme de la creme of the AIWB world and selling ones that don't work, consider it an inevitability because you WILL end up trying a lot of them eventually. Looks like you're fluent in risk assessment. I hope financial risk is not an issue for you because this forum may tempt you well beyond your comfort zone.
    You're statement rings true. My risk vs. reward formula says always take the financial risk for a good holster. As far as aiwb carry risk is concerned, I think I can safely say that's a much closer assessment with the risk/reward outcome variable and highly dependent on 'gun-situation-person-holster' interplay. Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If I had a massive gun to conceal I would look to a 5Shot SME.
    A an important endorsement considering the source. Thank you for the advice.

I carried a usp compact in 45 for a while, I think aiwb success would be easy with the amount of prep work you're willing to put in. I'm a big fan of the jrc and of course the sme. But I suggest you also try the jm custom kydex for pure concealment. I don't own one but it seems to be more or less the successor of the keeper, which is what I wear when I need to hide a g19 under daisy dukes and a wife beater.

All this is assuming you don't need to tuck. If so, the jrc is my favorite, closely followed by dark star gear. But I've not yet succeeded to be truly "invisible" with tucked aiwb.

I have no experience with the Beretta, sorry I can't compare them.

Thanks for posting, best of luck, and I hope you'll keep us updated on your results!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I carried a Beretta 92 Compact AIWB for about a year in a Raven ACR holster. This was *mostly* fine from a concealment standpoint, but not something I would be comfortable with in an NPE wearing a semi-fitted polo shirt around the same people (especially women) who saw me every day for months or years on end. If it would be disastrous to be "made" even once, then I would suggest a pistol with a much thinner and shorter grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thank you. This is the type of personal feedbackI was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I currently carry a full sized 92G or Elite II Berettas in an appendix position. I don't have too many issues, between good belts and holsters. I would've preferred a Compact, which I think would carry marvelously, but I insist on G/decocker only models and those are hard to get.
    I use JM Kydex and Shaggy. Biggest issue with Beretta is support, not every maker builds gear for it. For example, Shaggy is not listed for a compact.

Just one general observation. You mentioned fitted pants, nothing baggy. I personally cannot conceal double stack guns in pants that I consider fitted. I also find it relatively difficult to match fitted pants with closed-front top garments.

Typed at the same time with nalesq.
    Thank you, as well, helpful support/counter balance to the above post. I suppose by fitted, I mean not relaxed fit or loose, but not tight either. My shirts will likely drop pretty well beyond the beltline. I have noticed the lack of support for the Beretta. Even when there is support for the compact model, that does not necessarily include railed compacts like M9A1 Compact.

User Tag List