Thread: S&W M&P 5th gen parts

S&W M&P 5th gen parts

Does anyone know where I can find a 5th generation sear housing assembly, slide stop lever, trigger bar, and striker assembly for a M&P 40? I would like to update the internals to improve the trigger. I know I could go with Apex parts and maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should but I would lie to stay with factory trigger parts.

Mike

is something wrong with your pistol now?

No it functions 100%. The trigger can be improved and thats my main goal.

Mike

Site Supporter
    I bought a new housing assembly at Midway about this time last year to upgrade the 2009/10 one in my M&P 9 compact. I don't know if it was gen 5 or not, but it had the larger sear spring.
    With the apex duty kit, which I already had in the gun, it was a good improvement -- particularly with the larger sear spring. It actually bumped the trigger pull up a bit to about 5.5 pounds + from the mid 4's, which I like (too light for me before). I also bought a new full-size M&P in November of 2012 and replaced the trigger parts with an Apex duty kit. I thought it was an improvement, but I didn't give the factory trigger a ton of rounds to smooth out, either.
    It looks like midway or speedshooter specialties have limited M&P stuff right now. Those two places or Brownells would be the first places I'd look. M&P stuff appears to be scarce right now (unless you want to just buy another one!).
    Hope this helps, good luck.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    It actually bumped the trigger pull up a bit to about 5.5 pounds + from the mid 4's, which I like (too light for me before).
    I didn't even know there was a "5th gen" of M&P internals but I just wanted to acknowledge the above line. It always impresses me when people realize there's more to having a proper shooting gun -- and much more to having a proper self-defense weapon -- than getting the lightest trigger pull they can for pure shootability. Good on you, dude.

Now I have to go kick myself for buying that 17# SIG hammer spring from Wolff.

Seriously, your post made me rethink my own priorities. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Now I have to go kick myself for buying that 17# SIG hammer spring from Wolff.
    Nah, the light mainspring is pretty important. I dry fire my stock SIGs occassionally just for kicks and quickly return them to the safe. It's no longer worth the effort to shoot with the normal DA weight.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for your comments Todd. (Although I imagine your SIG modifications are well-thought out and will be just fine.)

Jess, I found the same thing with the Apex parts. I didn't care for the lighter pull weight. I have looked at SSS, Midway, and G&R Tactical and like you said parts are scarce.

Todd, I saw they are "5th gen" only because thats what G&R Tactical call's them. Maybe that is not the correct moniker.

Mike

Your trigger's fine! Keep shooting, trigger will get better. Save your money for ammo/reloading.

With 4k rounds through it I'm not sure how much better it will get. My only issue with it is the lack of rest. I have been working on not looking for the rest but still find myself short stroking the trigger after the false rest click from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List