Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was told a story about 9mm ricocheting from the windshield back into an officer....

I was told a story about 9mm ricocheting from the windshield back into an officer....

Here's the story, RIP: http://www.odmp.org/officer/14993-tr...ott-m-gonzalez

I was told by someone today that when he returned fire, his 9mm wouldn't penetrate through his windshield and instead it ricocheted back into him.

Just trying to get some veracity.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Someone sounds like a retard.

Seriously.

Guessing a bit, but back then I'm pretty sure NJ was issuing a non-bonded JHP, this would likely fragment quite a bit on passing through the windshield, thus making it less likely to hit the suspect. Would need to make a call to try and find out what ammo they had then.

Thanks! I'd be interested to what you find out, b/c I thought it sounded a lot like the ol' 9 vs 45 argument.

On a physics note, I'd like to see how the bullet bounced back into him when, if it didn't penetrate the windshield AND remained intact, it would have ricocheted down into the dash due to the internal angle of the windshield.

One of the many things that made me post this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Where did it say in there that a bullet richocheted back into him? Said he was killed by the suspects shotgun...

It doesn't in the story, but a guy who knew the story added that bit, which is why I looked it up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Another rumor being spread.

Very few officers train with shooting through windshields. Most don't understand bullet deflection angles of shooting in/out of a vehicle. I am not surprised that he never hit the perp by shooting through his windshield as the defection rate at anything over a few feet is impossible to control. Bullet fragments coming back at you against steel and glass is also very common...........more so the higher the bullet velocity.

When you start shooting folks inside of car, it's like chaos theory at work. I am familar with a shooting in which the BG was in the back seat of a cruiser. The BG fired the shotgun that was mounted on the transport screen (waffle) and struck and paralyzed the deputy who was standing in front of the muzzle. The two other officers on-scene, one from the front and the other from the back, opened fire on the suspect fearing he was armed.

The deputy in the back emptied a Glock 17 (ammo type unknown) and the deputy in front fired two rounds from a Glock 21 (230 gr Ranger, pre-bonded). None of the rounds from the 9mm actually struck the suspect. Apparently, there were crime scene photos of several of the 9mm's resting on the suspect clothes after having barely made it into the passenger's compartment. The two 45's went through the front windshield, through the suspect, and were found in the vehicle's trunk. Both pistols performed off of the bell curve in terms of what we'd expect. The 45 did much better and the 9mm did much worse. This doesn't make either a wonder bullet or worthless.

User Tag List