Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J frame grips for non-concealed use?

J frame grips for non-concealed use?

I just picked up a used 3" Model 36 as a companion to my 4" K-frame. Intended uses are teaching new shooters and belt carry when walking in the woods. Concealment is not a priority. I'm looking for grips that will make it comfortable for small-to-medium-sized hands.

I like the Pachmayr Compac on a J- frame, but don't have much experience with other options.

The Pachmayr's are hard to beat for a J frame that's not going to be concealed.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I like the Pachmayr Compac on a J- frame, but don't have much experience with other options.
    Those are my first choice for one of your specified tasks- reducing recoil for a new shooter/tyro... or, an oldster facing a 60 round qual course using "service" ammunition.

They really make a difference, especially on an AirWeight/AirLite J.

Jinx! you owe me a beer.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Crimson Trace 305s, for several reasons.

Standard BOOT Grip on the left, the slightly extended "+S" version on the right.

http://www.craigspegel.com/

Some alternatives made of Laminate construction if you prefer more pronounced finger-grooves:
    http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/cus...ame-round.html
    http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/cus...ound-boot.html
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Very nice; but the rubber on those Pachmyars wraps around the back strap and really absorb recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Very nice; but the rubber on those Pachmyars wraps around the back strap and really absorb recoil.

I harbor no bias against rubber grips, believe me.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The Pachmayr's are hard to beat for a J frame that's not going to be concealed.
    This. The Pachmayr Compacs are great if you don't need to hide the gun on an ankle or in a pocket.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Spegel Boot grips all the way, or Crimson Trace. I have both and while the CT is functionally pretty great the Spegels just feel... riiight.

User Tag List