Thread: Korean Swat Training

Korean Swat Training

Saw this on Gizmodo and was quite disappointed at the title since, after watching the video in its entirety, I left quite impressed with this unit's training regiment and gun handling. Here's the video, followed by the link to the Gizmodo article:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=811_1391996630

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/korean-pol...191/@caseychan

Quote Originally Posted by BNg47 View Post
    Saw this on Gizmodo and was quite disappointed at the title since, after watching the video in its entirety, I left quite impressed with this unit's training regiment and gun handling. Here's the video, followed by the link to the Gizmodo article:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=811_1391996630

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/korean-pol...191/@caseychan
    I'm left unimpressed with their retention-shooting techniques.

One of the first things I learned in ECQC is that without a hard index, your gun will float around, and you will most likely not hit an opponent in a FUT. Not that I'm a ninja master, but it was a big point that Craig tried to teach us, and it was very apparent during force on force that he knew what he was talking about. Honestly, with the legendary penchant that South Korean forces tend to have with martial arts, I'm surprised they have not adopted a similar practice.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Personally, I felt like it jumped the shark using JATO boosters around the 6:15 mark.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Is he rocking a HK P7?

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Is he rocking a HK P7?
    Yep. They still use M8's, so they get major class points.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Interesting. Random thoughts and observations:
    *Unless things have changed drastically since I retired in 2000, there is very little firearms-related crime in the ROK.
    *Ergo, the (gun-armed) threat they are training for is primarily commie agents.
    *The police are a national organization. At some points in the video you might see references to "KNP", "Korean National Police."
    *FWIW, the writing on the backs of (some of) the vests translates as "Police Special forces."
    *For any who served in Korea, most of the cops you saw were doing their national service; these are rarely armed.
    *The burly cops in gray hanging out at key installations are "Combat Police"; they tend to be farm boys who think that pounding on college boys rioting (cue John Belushi: "It's a demo, not a riot") for no apparent reason would be great fun...
    *Koreans have no gun culture. My last tour we had a KATUSA armorer, who frankly admitted that it was his dream job, as his only hope of ever getting to play with anything other than an air pistol ever again was to emigrate to the States.
    * In one unit, we armed the guard force with Winchester Model 12s, and they had no clue whatsoever about scatterguns. The AAR for the initial Familiarization Fire range said "Ajashi with a shotgun scares us." NOTE: This is an official government document...
    *That said, if communications issues were dealt with, I'd gladly accept a squad of ROK SF (including KNP SWAT) as backup.
    *According to the title, that thing at ~6:40 where they are tossing flash bangs and pounding on the dude's back is "Stress Fire."

*I need to see if I can find my Korean-English/English-Korean dictionaries...

*I imagine a video of their martial arts/hand-to-hand acumen would be a bit more impressive...

*The gizmodo people are ignorant.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List