Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dry-fire ok, live fire not-so-much

Can usually get somewhere from 7-10 DA presses off before it falls off. I'd venture to say the slight vibration from the hammer striking the firing pin is what leads to it falling off more than any deviation with my trigger control, though I may be wrong. I can keep the sights in pretty perfect alignment all while I dry fire.

I don't want to blame it on the sights, though I do think they are a bit out of where they should be. However, analyzing how I anticipate they're off means my shots should be missing to the right instead of left.

I believe the issue may be in the upper body portion of my stance, but I'm not certain.

Figured I'd re-visit this thread, given some moderate improvement.

Chasing accuracy has yielded mostly favorable results. Every now and then I'll catch myself dipping the gun because my recoil control gets ahead of what's going on at the time.

Here's today's target:
    Attachment 6954

Put about 150 rounds through my P229.

While this may look respectable to a passive observer, I was kittening it up big time on some of what I was doing.

Started off with some pure marksmanship work, utilizing some 3 X 5 cards at varying distances. Essentially was working off of the first DOTW: http://pistol-training.com/archives/81

Made it to about 15 yards before I started missing about 1 of every 6 shots off the card. The upper left and upper right holes and weird damage surrounding them were some shots that hit the target holder (oops) so I lowered the card a bit.

Did a few mock FAST runs, untimed due to lack of a shot timer and being on a heavily populated indoor range that it would've given false feedback. The second or third run is where the far left "C" shot was produced. I had my brain go stupid on one run where I actually looked at the target for the body shots instead of my front sight. Did about 7 runs total before moving on to failure to stop drills at 7-10 yards.

The failure to stop drills are what netted a lot of dropped head shots. All of the high "C" shots and the lower head shots were drops where I missed the 3 X 5 cards.

Overall, not the greatest I've done but certainly not the worst. Really have to work on fighting the early recoil control, which dry-fire and ball and dummy don't seem to help me out at all on.

It's time for a training journal my friend.

https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...ining-Journals
    Last edited by Luke; 04-03-2016 at 12:01 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Did a few mock FAST runs, untimed due to lack of a shot timer and being on a heavily populated indoor range that it would've given false feedback.

Just as a heads up, if you decide you want a timer, the Shotmaxx that you wear like a watch has an inertia mode where it feels the recoil pulse. I can shoot right next to someone at an indoor range and it doesn't pick up their shots. It won't even pick up your shots if you are shooting one handed and have it on your other wrist in that mode....as I recently was reminded after a string of WHO that resulted in no time...

Your head is full of process, empty it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Just as a heads up, if you decide you want a timer, the Shotmaxx that you wear like a watch has an inertia mode where it feels the recoil pulse. I can shoot right next to someone at an indoor range and it doesn't pick up their shots. It won't even pick up your shots if you are shooting one handed and have it on your other wrist in that mode....as I recently was reminded after a string of WHO that resulted in no time...
    Thanks for the information on that, I'll look into acquiring one.

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    That's easier said than done for me. It works alright if I'm practicing a press-out, but working straight trigger mechanics I tend to over-think things.

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    That's easier said than done for me.
    No argument from me that it is easier said than done. But that's a great post and very succinctly put, DueSpada.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List