Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Apex Glock extractor the fix for BTF in Gen3 & 4 Glock 9mm's?

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/ind...g-fre-fitting/

Are folks fitting their Apex extractors as described above, or just dropping them in?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Are folks fitting their Apex extractors as described above, or just dropping them in?
    The two I have dropped in.

Site Supporter
    I have five in play right now and all dropped in.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

GJM I belive that was for a small amount of the gen 3 extractors that needed to be fitted to problematic gen 3s.

The gen 4 guns seem to be all drop in.

Gen4 G19 drop in. Getting dramatically stronger and more consistent ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

The Gen 3 Apex extractor set I got to experiment with probably needed fitting. It created the first FTE from RTF2 G19 at around the 1600 round mark and then moved to an RTF2 G17 it created a half dozen within a couple hundred rounds of a gun that hadn't seen a malf in . . . I don't even know. 5K rounds? I'd have to check the logs. That pistol may not have seen a malf until those.

However I left it in there and it seemed to wear itself into a nice place, running great for quite a few rounds (a thou or two). It's gone now, replaced by a current OEM last July during a GSSF match. I thought I got it back from the tech but I may have gotten "shell gamed" as I can't locate it now.

You can't fault the forcefulness and consistency of the ejection pattern that's for sure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    The same for a Gen4 G17.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    It's simply amazing how well the guns work from an ejection standpoint when the extractors are still holding the case against the breech face when presented to the ejector!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The Apex thread caused me to reflect on some history with the introduction of the Apex extractor. I may be fuzzy on the exact sequence of events, and would appreciate it if others filled in things I might have wrong.

The Gen 4 intro wasn't going well. A not insignificant percentage of pistols had problems from intermittent BTF (a word no doubt spawned by the Gen 4) all the way through regular stoppages. There were lots of theories, ranging from the RSA being .40 power in the 9's, the ejector, differences in the rigidity of the frame due to possible changes in the composition of the polymer, and probably other issues I have forgot. Initially, I think most thought the problems were Gen 4 related, and the Gen 3 problems might not initially have received the attention they later got.

Randy Lee focused on the problem, designing and producing a new extractor. I believe he used Gen 4 pistols as the test bed. I think the first extractors came out, as "Glock 9mm," and didn't differentiate between Gen 3 and 4. Sometime later, Apex started including a new spring for the extractor depressor (is that the correct name for the part) and a recommendation to go to the larger pre LCI bearing (which functioned I believe to increase tension on the extractor). Not sure what the exact sequence was as to when the spring came included and larger bearing was recommended.

Shortly after the introduction of the Apex extractor, which was eagerly awaited and gobbled up, my wife got a new Gen 3 17 in OD or FDE (whichever was the new color), that wouldn't function reliably, although it was very accurate. I tried an Apex extractor, still then not marked Gen 3 or 4, like now. That didn't fix it, and I contacted Randy, who had me send the pistol to him.

My understanding is that he designed the Gen 3 Apex extractor as part of fixing her pistol, which it did. That led to the introduction of a Gen 3 extractor, distinct from the Gen 4 extractor.

When I look at the picture of the Gen 3 and 4 extractors, it appears like the two extractors use a different spring, or at least a different color spring in the pictures.

Also at some point, Apex recommended that the extractor be fitted, and posted fit instructions on the web site. Around this point, between the various springs, the larger bearing, the different extractors for G3 and 4, and the recommendation to fit the extractor, I kind of lost interest in using the Apex in pistols that ran fine.

Only recently, I installed a Gen 3 Apex extractor in my wife's G3 34 that was choking with light ammo. Dropped it right in, with no fitting, and the pistol seemed to be cured.

Never was clear on what the exact difference is between the Gen 3 and 4 Apex extractor, and difference, if any, in the supplied spring?

OK, I feel better now, having written all this down, so I can hopefully find it in the future by a forum search.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Got nailed in the face with 124gr+P HST and noticed some weak ejection at times, so I installed a Gen 4 extractor, non-LCI SLB, and the APEX spring in my 2013-mfg Gen 4 G19 this afternoon as a prophylactic measure. 80 rounds of PMC 115gr later and ejection appears to be strong and consistent. Estimated round count was 1200 at the time I started noticing problems. Extractor dropped right in.

User Tag List