Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Apex Glock extractor the fix for BTF in Gen3 & 4 Glock 9mm's?

gen4 G19, U ser#, 12,245 documented rounds to date, no malfunctions. With mag removed, ejects from the mag well 30-50% of the time depending on the load. Relatively uniform ejection direction for me, a little more erratic with my kiddos, but associated with certain loads.

gen4 G17, W ser#, 8,095 documented rounds to date, no malfunctions. With mag removed, ejects from the mag well 10-30% of the time depending on the load. Consistent ejection direction.

I have a list here somewhere of which loads are more frequently represented in mag well ejection in these guns and many others sampled, but I can't seem to associate any performance on that test with malfunctions. The guns just run.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

When I purchased my gen 4 g19(sept 2014 test fire) I immediatly installed a Apex extractor with the provided spring and non-lci bearing. I figured I rather start testing from a base of a known working combination. I ran 500 rounds of ammo that some have said is suspect to cause problems, federal champion 115gr and WWB. I also ran some without a magazine. I experienced no stoppages, no BTF and everything ejected even without a mag in place.

It seems current gen 4 Glocks are GTG. If ejection issues rear their head its a easy known fix for the gen 4 guns.

Earlier problem gen 3s sometimes needed a little more TLC and I remember reading that sometimes the Apex extractor had to be fitted. But that was a few years ago and I don't have experience with the newer gen 3s. All my gen 3s are of older vintage and problem free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    All my gen 3s are of older vintage and problem free.
    Same here. I had a "later" FDE frame Gen 3 G19 with BTF issues, dumped it with disclosure.

So, has the cause of the "later" Gen 3 issues ever been positively identified? There is so much angst/consternation/speculation circulating about, I stopped paying attention some time ago.

Since my Gen 3 19s and 17s all work fine, and the new Gen 4 19 I bought a month or so ago works fine (so far, anyway), I ask this question out of idle curiousity.

Extractor -- same main issue for gen 3 and 4.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sorry Gaston. Complete operator error. When I quickly put a 5 pound striker spring in last night, I got the spring cups upside down, causing the firing pin to protrude, and preventing cartridge from properly sliding up.

Fixed and function checked with one mag in dark. Will start normal reliability testing tomorrow. This one has a great dolly trigger so I am glad it is sticking around.
    That one could have had some excitement built in if you got a round to chamber and the protruding striker lit off the round before closing!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That one could have had some excitement built in if you got a round to chamber and the protruding striker lit off the round before closing!
    Yup, I thought of that, runaway gun was my first thought.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yup, I thought of that, runaway gun was my first thought.
    Gaston anticipated that and designed the Glock so it wouldn't chamber if the cups are installed improperly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gaston anticipated that and designed the Glock so it wouldn't chamber if the cups are installed improperly.
    #perfection

I tried the extractor test with the G34 that I just picked up. It was 20 for 20 sending the spent cases down the magwell. That being said, I couldn't make it jam even with some serious limpwristing experiments, so we'll see. I did get BTF a couple times out of 200. I'm going to run it as-is unless the BTF gets too annoying, at which point I'll start with the APEX FRE and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    #perfection

If it's so perfection, how come you can install the cups backwards? Hmmm? Hmmmmm?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List