Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Apex Glock extractor the fix for BTF in Gen3 & 4 Glock 9mm's?

Just installed the Apex extractor; dropped right in without any fit issues. We'll see how it shoots over the next few weeks.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Please keep us posted Doc, I'm curious to see how that works out.

Site Supporter
    I was one of the beta testers on the FRE and have it on two G-19s and two G-17s (all 3rd Gen). I also use Randy's supplied extractor spring PLUS the non-LCI SLB and a 30274 ejector. That combination appears to crack the code on this problem. The guns work very well in normal mode and all of them pass the acid test on this issue, which is shooting the gun without the magazine on board. They all consistently eject outside the ejection port without stoppages. This is not the norm on many, if not most, Glocks. They typically eject down the mag well or trap fired cases between barrel hood and breech face. While some say this test is not relevant or unfair, I'd simply say that if your gun won't pass it, your extractor is NOT holding a fired case against the breech face until the ejector strikes it. That is asking for trouble.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I was one of the beta testers on the FRE and have it on two G-19s and two G-17s (all 3rd Gen). I also use Randy's supplied extractor spring PLUS the non-LCI SLB and a 30274 ejector. That combination appears to crack the code on this problem. The guns work very well in normal mode and all of them pass the acid test on this issue, which is shooting the gun without the magazine on board. They all consistently eject outside the ejection port without stoppages. This is not the norm on many, if not most, Glocks. They typically eject down the mag well or trap fired cases between barrel hood and breech face. While some say this test is not relevant or unfair, I'd simply say that if your gun won't pass it, your extractor is NOT holding a fired case against the breech face until the ejector strikes it. That is asking for trouble.
    It appears that if your Glock won't pass that extraction test, and in my experience most won't, that the gun is using the next round in line to assist with ejecting the brass from the round just fired. It obviously works OK for the most part, since so many Glocks work, my old issued G17 being an example with over 40,000 through the gun with one stoppage, but yeah, it kinda makes me hinky as well knowing what's going on.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I was one of the beta testers on the FRE and have it on two G-19s and two G-17s (all 3rd Gen). I also use Randy's supplied extractor spring PLUS the non-LCI SLB and a 30274 ejector. That combination appears to crack the code on this problem.
    Is the non-LCI SLB also recommended for Gen 4s? Obviously it's cheap enough to grab but wasn't sure about compatibility...that is the first I've heard of switching out that part, but I haven't been following all this from the beginning as I just made the switch to Glocks a few months ago. I have four Gen 4s that have all run fine with original parts but it's still early (2000 rounds through one, another 2000 total between the other three). While I haven't had any problems, I have several Apex extractors on hand due to comments I've seen about issues not showing up until later.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Is the non-LCI SLB also recommended for Gen 4s?
    It's as recommended as installing a stronger extractor plunger spring, they both do the same thing, it increases the tension on the extractor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It appears that if your Glock won't pass that extraction test, and in my experience most won't, that the gun is using the next round in line to assist with ejecting the brass from the round just fired. It obviously works OK for the most part, since so many Glocks work, my old issued G17 being an example with over 40,000 through the gun with one stoppage, but yeah, it kinda makes me hinky as well knowing what's going on.
    When you learn that replacing MAGAZINE springs improves EJECTION, it should be a clue that things aren't as they should be...

A few data points.

I grabbed my NIB G4 19, prefix VT, out and did the test. Since I was shooting, I aimed at an 8 inch steel at 50 yards, and hit with the three single rounds I fired, which tells me something good about the new Proctor sights. In any event, it ejected each single round properly (115 Lawman TMJ).

Same test with my several year old UB prefix, and it also passed.

Same test with my week old prefix YH, and it ejected down the mag well. That pistol is just past 1,000 rounds without incident.

I have heard some folks (was it Hilton) say this is a 1911 test and not valid for a Glock, as the Glock was designed with the magazine as part of the feeding system. No quarrel with what others do, but I am reluctant to change the extractor, bearing thingee and spring, when my stock parts are working. If I had a problem gun that a current 2014 extractor didn't fix, I personally would be on the fence as to whether I Apex'd it or just sent it down the road. I get changing sights on a Glock, but if it won't reliably function with OEM parts that is a problem for me.
    Last edited by GJM; 03-05-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I respect what Hilton has to say, but this test is viable for any locked breech, box magazine fed pistol. All this test does is to isolate extractor function and nothing else. It tells you, in a short time frame, whether YOUR extractor is maintaining tension of a fired case until it's struck by the ejector face. If it's not doing that singular (and expected) task, the gun is failing to function as it should. If a case is going down the mag well or trapping between breech face and barrel hood or even more dramatically, doing a 180 degree spin and trap, then you know it's losing the fired case before ejector presentation. If the gun is doing what Darryl calls "lawn sprinkler" ejection all over the place, the extractor is failing because it's losing tension on the fired case and presenting it at different angles, tensions and/or attitudes to the ejector.

That kind of trashy function may be fine for a fun gun, but it's 100% UNSAT for a duty gun. Glock knows, but Glock doesn't care because they sell every thing they make and therefore have absolutely NO motivation to definitively fix this issue. It's a GO/NO GO test for any gun I want to carry or recommend now.

GJM, as an example, I want you to test the 1911 9mm you were using in your slo-mo video with Leatham and see what you get. I watched the ejection pattern with it and it was like each fired case was on rails out of the gun and on its ejection travel path. I'd be shocked if it didn't kick ass on this test.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 03-05-2015 at 01:55 PM.

To add to the observation. I have Gen4 G19 prefix code XNM test fire case dated 6/2014. First 300 rds of winchester 124 gr NATO have dozen BTF, and with no magazine in 10 rounds all either fell out of the bottom of mag well or trapped between breech face and top of slide. Changed out extractor with APEX FRE and Non LCI SLB and pistol passes extractor test.

Purchased LAV G17 Gen3, BTF approx 1 in 7 shots fired, also failed extractor test. Just installed APEX FRE and Non LCI SLB, waiting on 30274 ejector. Have not had an opportunity to thry without 30274 ejector but would like to see what the result would be.

User Tag List