Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: P229 Thoughts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That’s pretty awesome.

Have you done a video on it?
    I haven't yet. But I might do it next, actually.

I was gonna do the P9S next, but it's now out of commission after an unsuccessful buffer replacement effort. I think I'll probably need to send it to someone who finish the job.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

SIG's Rebate has me longing for an aluminum framed SIG, 226 or 229. Which is better suited for short fingers/small hands with the E2 grip? Current state of QC at SIG is..... not atrocious I would assume.... as in... OK? Good?

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    SIG's Rebate has me longing for an aluminum framed SIG, 226 or 229. Which is better suited for short fingers/small hands with the E2 grip? Current state of QC at SIG is..... not atrocious I would assume.... as in... OK? Good?
    Unless something has changed then difference between the 226, and 229 is the length of the grip, not girth. SIG used to offer a "short trigger," (not the "short reset trigger"), which reduced the distance from the back strap to the front of the trigger. People with short fingers/small hands benefited from that.

That trigger is standard on the so called "M11A1," which is actually a 229. That trigger was also specified in the contract for the actual SIG M11 pistols for the military, which are actually P228s. Other than the "M11A1," the other 229s currently offered by SIG have the regular trigger.

The 226s all have the normal trigger, except the "Zev" and "X-5" models. However, those triggers are not the "short triggers" used on the M11s and "M11A1," so I don't know if they would help you.

It's easy to swap the normal and "short" trigger, if you decide to get one that has the normal installed.

I have seen some good pricing on the M11A1 version of the P229 and changing out the grips would be pretty simple. As cited it comes with the short reach trigger installed and it also has the factory short reset sear in place. No dust cover rail for a light if that matters. I actually prefer that myself for a carry gun.

As for recent quality I don't know. I have a sample of one, the P226 mk25 model I bought back in January on the NRA instructor discount program. I shot it quite a bit this year, well over 3K rounds, zero issues, very accurate. Love the gun.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

The P226 Legion SAO has been calling my name lately!

In the current line up of DA/SA P226/P229, there is the Gray Guns inspired trigger shoe on the Legion, Pro, and Elite series. Some of the stock photos show the Elite with the traditional standard trigger shoe, but I do not think that reflects the current production. My P229 Elite has the Gray Guns inspired trigger shoe. The standard trigger shoe is used still on the CA approved Nitron finish models and the MK-25. The M11A1 has a short reach trigger. The trigger reach is, to me, very slightly longer on the standard trigger shoe vs the Gray Guns inspired trigger, but it is fairly close. The main difference on the Gray Guns inspired trigger shoe is that it has a more rounded contour to improve comfort, I think it also has a set screw that can be used to adjust overtravel but I haven't messed with this. I think most people with medium hands would be OK with the Gray Guns inspired trigger shoe.

You can get aftermarket grips to adjust the grip size, but generally none of these will significantly change the backstrap area where it meets your thumb webbing since they are contoured to match the aluminum frame, so I doubt it will change trigger reach much. In order from smallest to largest, I believe grip size goes as follows: Sig E2, Hogue Extreme aluminum, Hogue Extreme G10 (and Legion grips), Hogue Contour Classic G-10, Sig 2-piece polymer, Hogue rubber overmold. For the P226 there are also the Amazon available Cool Hand G-10 grips probably made in China. The size on this is dependent on the texture, with the diamond checkered being flatter and thinner than the tactical slants. For the P229 there are also Armory Craft aluminum grips which are fairly similar to the Hogue Extreme series in overall size but have more noticeable of a left side hump at the top. For me, the winner in the grips will be the Hogue Extreme G10 and the Legion grips, but they are compatible only with the standard slide catch and the Legion/P224 slide catch respectively. These grips also have a nice indent where your right thumb can rest so it doesn't feel pushed out the the left side hump to accommodate the decocker spring underneath.

I have 5 classic P series guns purchased in the last few years. I have not had any major QC issues, except I would note that the one of my P226 Legions and my MK-25 did not have good magazine catch engagement with aftermarket Mec-Gar magazines. None of the magazines fell out during firing, but there was a barely audible click when the magazine catch engages and they required barely any movement of the magazine catch to release. Online searches and prior discussions here indicate that this has been an issue for other people, but Sig does not acknowledge it as an issue because it does not appear to occur with the 15 or 10 round magazines they ship with. I adjusted my magazine catch stop lightly and this has resolved my issue, but I am not a gunsmith, so I cannot say that it is recommended, only that it has resolved the issue for me.

The MK-25, with an RXP optics ready slide and Romeo2, Hogue Extreme G-10s with some texture added to the top, Gray Guns trigger shoe, and DIY reduced size slide catch, is now my favorite carry gun of all time.

Name:  20231206_124922.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  87.7 KB
    Last edited by FreedomFries; 12-06-2023 at 08:00 PM.

Name:  IMG_2390.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  66.4 KB

Site Supporter
    The short reach triggers should be pretty easy to find online. eBay, gunbroker. The P229 and the P226 should take the same triggers. I had one in a P226. It helped some with trigger reach, but it honestly kinda pinched the meat of my finger behind the trigger. Apparently my fingers aren’t just short… they’re fat.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

I just re-read this thread. Whatever happened to the P229 Bill Riehl put so much effort into? Todd had made a few posts on Pistol-Training when he first got it back, but they stopped and it doesn’t seem to have been mentioned again.

…unless of course my search-fu is weak.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Does the short trigger work with the SRT or is the trigger specific?

Honestly it’s been so long since I installed my SRT that I forget.

User Tag List