Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast

Thread: P229 Thoughts

Reviewer of the Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't have enough Beretta with a dot experience to say.
    I just automatically assume you have 4-6 of every modern centerfire handgun 😂

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I just automatically assume you have 4-6 of every modern centerfire handgun 😂
    You’re not wrong 😂

But even if one has ALL the guns and ammo, time is still finite.

I set the new Legion optic slide up with a 509T and put it on a DA/SA 229 I had. With the CHPWS plate, the BUIS that come on the slide are just barely usable, which is great for maximizing the display. It all functioned and shot pleasingly small groups.

Attachment 114148
    You might consider putting that optic and plate combo on a P226 instead if you have one. Given your reputation, I assume you probably have 5 or 6 of them. On the P229, my best recollection is that about 3/4 of the rear iron sight notch was obstructed by the optic deck. I have 3 of these plates, which I intended to put on the P229s, but I found that they fit a bit better on the P226 RXP and Legion slides. The P226 factory optic cut seems to be a bit deeper than the P229 and so the plate looks more flush at the front and the rear iron shows about 1/2 of the notch.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    You might consider putting that optic and plate combo on a P226 instead if you have one. Given your reputation, I assume you probably have 5 or 6 of them. On the P229, my best recollection is that about 3/4 of the rear iron sight notch was obstructed by the optic deck. I have 3 of these plates, which I intended to put on the P229s, but I found that they fit a bit better on the P226 RXP and Legion slides. The P226 factory optic cut seems to be a bit deeper than the P229 and so the plate looks more flush at the front and the rear iron shows about 1/2 of the notch.
    Interesting on the difference in optic cuts between the 229 and 226. On the 229 with the CHPWS plate, the taller Sig BUIS are just barely usable through the 509T. I actually like that, as maximum display window is available. CHPWS had sent me an Acro plate by mistake, and I mounted it without realizing it wasn't for the 509. The BUIS were not tall enough to work with an Acro installed. On my Legion with the low sights, they work as BUIS with the Romeo X installed. I also believe an EPS will work with those sights, using the CHPWS plate.

Today was a rain day, but it finally mostly let up, and we were able to shoot steel. I started with my LO 320 pistol, but then was able to shoot my DA/SA 229, SAO 229, and the Macro. I definitely shoot the DA/SA pistol better than the SAO. I am faster to shot one with DA and my hand position is more comfortable without having to ride the thumb safety. As of today, I still shoot the Macro better than either 229. Doesn't matter of I am doing one or two shots on each steel.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Beretta has made it quite difficult for those that like shooting DA/SA red dots sights. The factory arrangement seems goofy and how odd a major manufacturer forces you to one custom place, LTT, to mount an optic. The last time I handled a 92, I grabbed the front of the slide like I am used to doing, and took a major chunk of skin out of my support hand.

Contrast that with Sig that sells optic ready 236/229 pistols and slides, with an optic cut that gives you many options.

On the 229 with the CHPWS plate, the taller Sig BUIS are just barely usable through the 509T. I actually like that, as maximum display window is available. CHPWS had sent me an Acro plate by mistake, and I mounted it without realizing it wasn't for the 509. The BUIS were not tall enough to work with an Acro installed. On my Legion with the low sights, they work as BUIS with the Romeo X installed. I also believe an EPS will work with those sights, using the CHPWS plate.
    I had considered getting the ACRO P226/9 plate from CHPWS but every example of this I saw online seemed like it sits way too high to use any common BUIS set. So instead, I had Vulcan Machine direct mill an extra P229 Elite slide for ACRO. This cowitnesses well with sights that sit between the Sig low and tall sights in height. The low was not visible at all, and the high obstructed too much of the fairly small ACRO window. In the end, I used an Ameriglo I-Dot set, not because I cared about the tritium or straight 8 style, but because I wanted it high enough with blocking too much window.

The next problem I encountered with using an ACRO on the P229 was that the front lens sits so close to the breech face gap with the barrel. So within about 20 rounds, I would have a distracting amount of residue on the lens. The ACRO front lens is not recessed so I think it is particularly susceptible to this. I was debating trying a Steiner MPS next because the lens is more recessed but I don't have an MPS yet. I read Steiner window sits lower due to having a top emitter, so maybe a low BUIS may work on a direct mill.

DAK

Ten or fifteen years ago, I got a few 229 DAK pistols in .357 and .40, thinking I might use them as cold weather field guns. Not sure if I shot more than a magazine or two through them, and they got set aside. Cheby was asking about them, and I recently found them and decided to shoot them some.

The first magazine I shot, I felt like a monkey humping a football, and couldn't hit squat. The next magazine I told myself to grip hard, flip off the trigger, and be patient. That worked out better. I decided to shoot the DAK more today and compare it to a .40 iron sight slide, 9mm with an optic on a DA/SA, and then the Macro.

Here is a video shooting the same array, in this order.

DAK with 9mm optic upper

DAK with .40 iron sight upper

DA/SA with 9mm optic upper

Macro with 3.1 PMM upper

The DAK does work fine if you aren't in a hurry. Maybe .40 with iron sights isn't too big a disadvantage since it recoils more giving you time to flip off the trigger. DA/SA is obviously a better shooting trigger. I still love my Macro.

Site Supporter
    Ten or fifteen years ago, I got a few 229 DAK pistols in .357 and .40, thinking I might use them as cold weather field guns. Not sure if I shot more than a magazine or two through them, and they got set aside. Cheby was asking about them, and I recently found them and decided to shoot them some.

The first magazine I shot, I felt like a monkey humping a football, and couldn't hit squat. The next magazine I told myself to grip hard, flip off the trigger, and be patient. That worked out better. I decided to shoot the DAK more today and compare it to a .40 iron sight slide, 9mm with an optic on a DA/SA, and then the Macro.

DAK with 9mm optic upper

Macro with 3.1 PMM upper

The DAK does work fine if you aren't in a hurry. Maybe .40 with iron sights isn't too big a disadvantage since it recoils more giving you time to flip off the trigger. DA/SA is obviously a better shooting trigger. I still love my Macro.

I don’t remember shooting a DAK in 9mm, but the combination of the P226, .357 sig and DAK worked well. It was not race gun fast, but it worked well enough for the intended purpose.

Site Supporter

DAK with 9mm optic upper

Macro with 3.1 PMM upper

To quote the late PF member LSP972: “DAK sucks all the joy out of shooting a SIG.”

I found the DAK trigger to be very useable—like a light DA, vs. LEM, which I thought combined all the worst qualities of a Glock trigger with all the worst qualities of a DA trigger. I also found that the DAK reset negated the added muzzle rise of the .40. Not a splits gun, but a people management tool, and a pretty good one for its purpose.

User Tag List