Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock v M&P, even though I know better.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The HK will give you NOTHING that your current reliable Glock won't already do...so why are you contemplating switching?
    That was exactly the conclusion that I came to (after getting smacked with an attack of common sense).

That was kind of the point of my thread comment-but thanks for backstopping it with your concurrent observations and experience, Doc.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 07-06-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    I have about 8K thru the M&P and have been training with it regularly for the last 6 months. I picked up a Gen4 G17 that was too good a deal to pass up, dropped it off with a local Glock armorer to inspect and installed a Ghost 4.5# connector w/ a 6# trigger return spring. To the point: I shot my best FAST time with the Gen 4 G17 by .5 seconds (6.1 clean), shaved 7 seconds off my best weekly club Steel Challenge time and went from a 134 (18) to a 121 (4) on the IDPA SSP classifier. I have < 1K rounds thru the G17 I love the M&P but I can't argue with the results. I keep wondering how I will shoot the G17 when I have 8K rounds thru it.
    what is your trigger pull down to with this set up. was thinking about the same in my G19 and this sounds promising!

Quote Originally Posted by irishshooter View Post
    what is your trigger pull down to with this set up. was thinking about the same in my G19 and this sounds promising!
    5# with little to no overtravel.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The HK will give you NOTHING that your current reliable Glock won't already do...so why are you contemplating switching?
    In light of all the Gen 4, and late Gen 3 issues, assuming you have a reliable Glock, an HK is certainly as reliable and accurate as any service pistol, works in 9,40 and 45, gives you a choice of trigger systems, choice of a thumb safety, and a hammer for AIWB.

If it doesn't mean skipping food, I would just put the M&P pistols aside, and focus on Glock for now, so you don't have to buy and set-up the M&P pistols when you come back to them in the future. My rule is if you have one wife, you can afford more than one pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    5# with little to no overtravel.
    nice. just installed the Ranger 4.5 connector only, without changing any springs. trigger pull is right at 5# +/-, nice crisp break and very positive reset as far as i can tell like stock. originally measured at 6.5-6.75# with stock connector. very pleased right now. less than 500 rounds through it no issues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Every time I'm tempted by the siren song of the HK P30/HK45/HK45C/HK2000, I get to the decision-point brink, and then realize that my Gen 3 G17, G19, G21 and G34 are operationally flawless, that I can personally detail-strip and replace parts on them without a doctorate in German mechanical engineering (and 3 hands), that I've got significant muscle-memory in both live-and dry-fire built up in them, that I've got ample holsters and magazines for them...and then I step back from the brink.

(And that also precludes cashing in chips with the omnipotent Wifely Review Board as well...)

Best, Jon

I have been at this brink a few times, also with the P30, but never took the plunge. Also been at this brink with 1911s as well. Its never ending, something in our monkey brain tells us "there must be something better out there" even if there is nothing wrong with what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I have been at this brink a few times, also with the P30, but never took the plunge. Also been at this brink with 1911s as well. Its never ending, something in our monkey brain tells us "there must be something better out there" even if there is nothing wrong with what we have.
    Tell me about it..I've got some magnificent 1911s, including a Nighthawk Custom Talon II that I totally spec'ed out, and is exceptionally accurate, and reliable once totally broken in at the 800-900 round point. The only problem is, I'm not as accurate, or as fast with a 1911 as I am with my Glocks.

I'll freely admit that I have more dry-fire and hammer time on my Glocks. The conundrum is, should I park my Glocks and build up commensuerate 1911 hammer time? My compromise is that for a several month stretch, I do concentrate almost exclusively on my 1911s, for practice, carry and competition. But for the bulk of the year, I'll use my Glocks. They're accurate, reliable, durable, and easy to carry-and I'm personally at my best with them.

This year has been a bit of an exception-I've been concentrating on my Beretta 92D, due to a combinanation of circumstances. It's a good gun, and I'm enjoying working up on it. But after our Washington State IDPA match in August, the Beretta will be primarily used as a nightstand gun, and I'll revert to primarily using my Glocks.

Best, Jon

You should do whatever YOU feel like. While I understand the advice to a new shooter, to pick one platform and stick with it, it may or may not make sense for you, depending upon your interest, goals and the time you spend shooting. If your performance degrades, because of the variety of platforms, that is a clue. If your performance improves, shooting several platforms, that would be another clue. I love wild salmon, and eat it frequently, but only eating wild salmon soon becomes dull for me. That may or may not be the case for my neighbors here in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'd very much encourage all members with a 2011 Join Date to go back and bump one of your threads from 2011!

#postpfnecrobump

Still shooting Glocks. The M&P wasn't fixed then despite numerous changes throughout the years. The efforts involved to get a few that were acceptable far exceeded what I was willing to put into it since I gotta pay for my guns and my ammo and evaluate them on my own time. I do have a P320 now that seems promising and for the fuck of it I am getting a Shadow 2 and possibly a P-07. Not sure any of those will replace a Gadget'd Glock but the hammer fired guns have some sexy triggers. Plus I like buying stuff.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Does it count that I'm seriously considering replacing my Glock 42 with a 9mm S&W Shield?

I might be off topic.

User Tag List