Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Lubricants

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Both Weaponshield and Mpro7 LPX are CLP's, and will clean as well as a solvent like Hoppes #9, if you give it enough dwell time. I'm too impatient myself, and normally use a cleaner or solvent for a gun that's really nasty.

Mpro7 LPX performs great, but it smells bad to me and will stain fabrics - both a side effect of having Molybdenum disulfide as an ingredient.
    I don't use Hoppes #9, but I do like their benchrest for cleaning barrels.

Both Weaponshield and Mpro7 LPX are CLP's, and will clean as well as a solvent like Hoppes #9, if you give it enough dwell time. I'm too impatient myself, and normally use a cleaner or solvent for a gun that's really nasty.

Mpro7 LPX performs great, but it smells bad to me and will stain fabrics - both a side effect of having Molybdenum disulfide as an ingredient.

You should try Weaponshield's solvent, it does speed up cleaning a bit.

Thanks. I forgot all about it. It wasn't yet available the last time I placed an order. I've been using Breakthrough and so far I am underwhelmed.

Everyone always wants to talk about lubes. There's tons of great lubes available, but very few cleaners that aren't really nasty and harsh. That's why I gave Breakthrough a try - non-toxic and mild odor. So far, Mpro7 and Hoppes Elite are my favorites. Most of the time a CLP like Weaponshield or Ballistol are all I need, though. I tend to clean more than necessary.
    Last edited by Clay; 04-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Hoppes Gun Oil in the orange bottle has no smell or color, does not expire or go rancid, is not harmful to skin or plastic or wood, and works fine. Nothing nano, or tactical, or modern, but it works just the same, and the bottle doesn't leak. You can find this stuff almost everywhere.

Ballistol has been around 110 years or so, is non-toxic, and will not harm wood or leather, or modern plastics. Never expires. Smells like Anise. Works great. Nothing modern here either.

Weaponshield is a modern synthetic that smells like cinnamon, and works great. Also non-toxic. Very high-tech and tactical. George Fennell, the inventor, is a great guy.

Rem-Oil is an old school CLP. Same stuff as Dupont TFL-50. The solvent carrier that allows it to clean will evaporate and leave a thin Teflon film behind to provide lubrication and rust prevention. Some people don't like it because it's not a 30wt. oil. Works fine to me, but I'm not applying it to AR's or belt-fed machine guns and then shooting 5,000 rounds at a time. Available at every Wal-Mart I've ever been to.
    Jumping in late but you can use Ballistol to refinish wood stocks too. I've redone two Yugo M76 stocks with Ballistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I decided to try some Ballistol when it was an internet hit a few years back. It works fine on my small collection and has become my go-to CLP because it's simple, easy, and the other advantages mentioned above. It also fixed a squeaky door hinge that WD-40 and Rem-Oil couldn't

1-Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II. The entire line.
    2-Jim Fuller uses white lithium grease on his AKs.

P.S. Is Frog Lube really just re-branded Tracklube+? http://www.tracklubeplus.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mino View Post
    1-Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II. The entire line.
    2-Jim Fuller uses white lithium grease on his AKs.

P.S. Is Frog Lube really just re-branded Tracklube+? http://www.tracklubeplus.com/
    Mino,

1) Can you please speak in complete sentences
    2) I do not know if this is good or bad or what
    3) Is there a point here or just an incomplete powerpoint deck?

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Mino,

1) Can you please speak in complete sentences
    2) I do not know if this is good or bad or what
    3) Is there a point here or just an incomplete powerpoint deck?
    "1" is a suggestion. I use these. "2" is more of a comment. Jim Fuller owns Rifle Dynamics (good thing). If it works for him and his high end AKs, I'm tempted to try it. And, "P.S." is a question for whomever might know the answer. BTW, english is my second language and even I know "complete sentences" require punctuation marks. Ha!☺

Have the same bottle of FP-10 I bought 12 years ago. Still works

Trying some TW-25B since it came with my sig, but the notion of having to use a solvent to remove the grease is a new concept to me. Actually grease on guns is a new concept to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mino View Post
    "1" is a suggestion. I use these. "2" is more of a comment. Jim Fuller owns Rifle Dynamics (good thing). If it works for him and his high end AKs, I'm tempted to try it. And, "P.S." is a question for whomever might know the answer. BTW, english is my second language and even I know "complete sentences" require punctuation marks. Ha!☺
    Thanks for the clarifications!

User Tag List