Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubricants

I have been very happy with Slip 2000 EWL.

I just did a low light course today. 500 rounds through an M9. Only lube was the EWL that was on the gun the day before. Never had to relube and had 0 issues during the course.

I've never figured out what Slip 2000 lube is, other than it is synthetic. It looks like maybe a synthetic dental drill oil. Not sure, but it works. Not a magic potion, but an honest product, which is what I like.

I agree with Bill that a basic machine oil, like spindle oil maybe, would be a great starting point for a cost effective lube. All the big players, from Shell to Mobil make this kind of product, but it's mostly available in big containers. A little reading of the product spec sheets would allow you to find something with a good viscosity and temp range for guns. Buy a drum and bottle it in small containers and get rich on Ebay.

As far as grease goes, there are a ton of good choices. I like the aforementioned Hoppes (Bel-Ray) grease, Lubriplate 130-AA, TW-25B, and Super Lube grease because they're all available in small tubes. They all work well and are widely available. I don't care to have a pound tub of grease in my kit, as I don't use a lot of it.

For rust prevention of "in use" weapons, Weaponshield works fine for most circumstances, but one of the best choices is Corrosion-X. It is a non-toxic protectant and lubricant used in the aerospace and maintenance industry. I get it in an aerosol can from Academy in the boating section. I've been using it since 1998 or so. The infamous Dick Metcalf turned me on to it. The company is very good and the test results are impressive. It works as a CLP in a pinch.

For storage of any length, Hoppes grease would be excellent. Plain old Vaseline is surprisingly good and is still widely used in Europe. Corrosion-X makes a heavy duty product in a teal can that would be great for an aerosol option. I really don't have any experience storing guns because I've never done it for longer than a few months while in boot camp, and that was indoors at that. I'm just going by spec sheets and the info I've learned from others when it comes to this.

Just a clarification, earlier I said TW-25B can dry out and gunk up. To be more specific, I think what happens is the carrier oil separates and leaves the solids (PTFE) which then cakes up. It actually separates very easily, even in the tube, and should be "kneaded" before use. This may be one reason why the mil specs for CLP insist on no solids.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-16-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Right, I only use 350-AW as the oil for my pistols and my AR, and my folding knives. Springs for guns, joint/pivot points for knives. Ha, I bought from a food supply company, got 3 spray cans of the stuff, and now have five life times of supply.

SFL-0 grease, well, I like it better than Mobil-1 (too thick and hard to clean), and TW25b (too expensive and separates and dries out). It too separates, but my real beef is I think it (NLGI grade 0) is too thin. TW25b is NLGI 1, so I've been looking for SFL-1 or SFL-2 grease source that doesn't come in an oil barrel.

I LOVE Mpro7 LPX oil. L O V E I T for my AR. It stays in place, stays wet, and works well. I no longer grease my BCG and just use LPX oil.

So in summary:
    Pistols - CLP = Ballistol (Mpro7 cleaner TOO strong for me), Oil = 350-AW, Grease = SFL-0
    AR - CLP = Mpro7 (cleaner, LPX oil), Oil = 350-AW, Grease = n/a
    Knives - Ballistol cleaner, 350-AW oil

YMMV.

UPDATE: For those Lubriplate fans, they now sell the most popular grease and oil for firearms on their on-line store, IN CONSUMER FRIENDLY SIZES. They made a "Hunting/Firearms" section of their store instead of branding specific firearms products. Makes perfect sense to me.
    https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-St...e-Greases.aspx
    Last edited by campbed; 03-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

I noticed that a while back. Thanks for mentioning it. The prices are a bit steep, though IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Lubri-kit sells the Grant Cunningham approved Lubriplate stuff as well. For the price there are better options.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Anyone on here run FireCLEAN? I've been very impressed with the lube so far. Makes cleaning the AR, pistols and shotgun stupid easy. Wipe off and re-apply.

Lubricants

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Anyone on here run FireCLEAN? I've been very impressed with the lube so far. Makes cleaning the AR, pistols and shotgun stupid easy. Wipe off and re-apply.
    I've been running FIREclean. I wanted to see what all the hype was about. So far I am impressed. I might switch from my Royal Purple 10w30.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    But then the gun will easily go 2k+ rounds without getting any lubrication again. It's worked for me for a long, long time.
    This is good to know because I never go over 500rds carbine or pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I picked up a bottle last week and used to to clean a rimfire suppressor. Works well, as advertised. I've used Froglube, Slip 2000, Rand, Fireclean, etc etc etc. They all work. I've got a bottle of something or other in my range bag, and that works well, when needed. My carry pistols all get Slide-Glide.

Fred, do you change out the Slide Glide in cold weather, or have you had any problems in that regard? I know they make different grades of it depending on your ambient temperature. I've heard a few complaints regarding it's use in colder climates.

I don't use much grease, but when I do I stick with Super Lube or TW-25B when cold, or Hoppe's/Lubriplate when it's warmer.

User Tag List