Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lubricants

Lubricants

I keep hearing and reading various lubricants and finishes "penetrate into the pores of the metal."

How the heck did this get started? Does anyone actually think their gun has pores at its surface? Just for the sake of argument, lets say it does have microscopic pores (it doesn't). And lets say the lube/finish (usually an epoxy based finish that continues to offer "corrosion protection" after it has worn off) does penetrate said pores....that mean the lubricant needs to have nearly no surface tension and no viscosity, both of which are necessary to act as a film layer lubricant. And if said oil has such a low viscosity, it will need to have a low molecular weight, meaning it will evaporate quickly. And this argument ignores the fact that the lubricant will need to overcome the bubble pressure of those microscopic pores before penetrating them (not gonna happen).

I want to rub sand in the eyes of the person who got this started. Coarse sand.

I don't have the back ground to scientifically refute some of that, but the "pores" thing I knew to be BS.

Kind of like how springs can "rest", as though they are a muscle and can heal up after being worked too hard or something.

I've never thought too much about it, being more concerned with how lubricants handle the corrosive ammo in my 5.45 AR. I do know of one industry professional that posted his belief that metal does have pores because when he welds on cold metal, it "sweats." I attribute that to honest observation on his part but I really do think "snake oil" when I hear stuff about "heating metal up to soak into the pores" and whatnot.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've never thought too much about it, being more concerned with how lubricants handle the corrosive ammo in my 5.45 AR. I do know of one industry professional that posted his belief that metal does have pores because when he welds on cold metal, it "sweats." I attribute that to honest observation on his part but I really do think "snake oil" when I hear stuff about "heating metal up to soak into the pores" and whatnot.
    It can "look" like that because the heat will lower viscosity, making the lube spread out more.

....I need to go buy some sand. Coarse, I think.

Are you heating it up in the oven first?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Are you heating it up in the oven first?
    Some of the lube sellers will tell you to do just that.

Bill, keep riffing on this so that I can steal your words. Thanks
    #RESIST

A couple of toothpick points of white lithium grease on wear points works well in all my handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Some of the lube sellers will tell you to do just that.
    I know. I can't stand it. Then it causes people who think their opinion on things is infallible who parrot the silly crap and the rest of the world believes it.

Each and every one of them needs a whack from a shillelagh.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List