Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite Shooting Sports - New range coming to Gainesville, VA

Elite Shooting Sports - New range coming to Gainesville, VA

Looks like another indoor range option is coming to Northern Virginia...Elite Shooting Sports.

42 lanes - including eight 100 yard lanes - and a two level shoot house.

Several classes are already planned (Greg Wodack is listed as the Owner/Operator - I took some classes from Greg when he was the manager of the NRA Range/Senior Firearms Instructors) - as well as a Guest Instructor Series.

Looks like a promising addition to the area.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    It's supposed to open in September.

We are diminished
    Greg and I have been talking quite a bit and it sounds like this place is going to be amazing... and perfect for teaching classes both I'm the middle of the summer and winter...

Wow, I'm a former pupil of Greg and it's pretty exciting to see him create such an awesome indoor range. I'd join just for the 100yd range alone! Hopefully this place doesn't morph into Silver Eagle Group II.

I'll definitely have to check this place out!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Hopefully this place doesn't morph into Silver Eagle Group II.
    It takes talent and dedication to screw something up that badly.
    #RESIST

Looks like it is getting close to opening...

It's been fun to watch the updates on their Facebook page - seeing the entire range built from the ground up...

Checked out Elite Shooting Sports today (ESS). They're open for business, though this is a 'soft opening'. Just about every other range in the area is closed today, so I was pleased to find ESS was open. The retail area is still being stocked, the 100 yard range is not yet finished, and the Cafe isn't open for business yet. More than enough room at the 25 and 50 yard ranges (I believe there are 34 shooting positions between these three ranges alone).

First impressions are very positive. ESS is open and spacious. The waiting area is quite large, with a number of flat screen TVs mounted high on the wall. I was greeted promptly when I arrived and walked through the registration procedure. Everyone must watch a 10 minute orientation video before being issued their membership card and being permitted to shoot on the range. I liked the video - hopefully it will tune casual shooters into range safety and etiquette more than the posted 'Range Rules' found at most ranges.

When I went to the counter to pay my range fees, the gentleman asked if I was active or former military. When I replied that I was former military, he wished me a happy Veteran's day and told me I would shoot free today. Very nice gesture. Though there were a number of people enjoying the range today, there was no wait and I headed right out.

The range itself reminded me very much of the NRA Headquarters Range, but on a larger scale. The range carriers and controllers looked almost identical to the most recent carriers used at NRA. The wall material also looked very similar. The range bays (there were 12 positions in the 25 yard range) were substantial; plenty of room to move around. The walls are built out of metal and very thick safety glass. I had the impression that the report from neighboring range bays didn't seem as loud as other indoor ranges I've been on - this may be attributable to the large bay area. A removable cart/table served as the range bench, again similar to the NRA Range though much nicer and purpose built. Each range position had a stapler. The challenge for indoor ranges is always lighting, and while the ranges were well lit, some of the bay areas were dimmer than others. I'll give the edge to the NRA Range here, as they have dedicated lighting in each bay.

Forgive the poor cell phone pic...

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  28.7 KB

All in all, a very nice addition to the area's ranges.

Site Supporter
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to head there very soon, it's a LOT more convenient, for me, than the NRA range.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to head there very soon, it's a LOT more convenient, for me, than the NRA range.
    That. I need to knock some rust off.
    #RESIST

User Tag List